College Educated Pilots vs Management

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWAnnabee

I posted this as part of another thread but thought it might make a good discussion topic on the Majors Board. I know the debate on college degrees in pilot jobs is still raging but does anyone have any intelligent thoughts on the below comments regarding airline management? Got to admit, it's in management’s best interest. Thoughts?

Anyone think there is any link between the lack of college degrees for many of today's piloting jobs and the dumbing down of the industry? Trust me, you will see more of this kind of thing unless the industry insists on some form of higher education to attain professional pilot positions. Otherwise, quit complaining about not being paid and treated like doctors and lawyers. They at least earned the term "white collar" by requiring an education for their professions. Believe me, airline management has figured out that it is in their best interest to keep the pilots under-educated. And they do this while getting many of them to think it's some sort of "favor" by making the hiring standards easier. They are NOT doing you any favors by making college degrees "preferred". If you were in management, which group of pilots would you rather negotiate a new contract against, GED/High School grads or B.S/M.S/PHDs?

bozt45 said:
I posted this as part of another thread but thought it might make a good discussion topic on the Majors Board. I know the debate on college degrees in pilot jobs is still raging but does anyone have any intelligent thoughts on the below comments regarding airline management? Got to admit, it's in management’s best interest. Thoughts?

Anyone think there is any link between the lack of college degrees for many of today's piloting jobs and the dumbing down of the industry? Trust me, you will see more of this kind of thing unless the industry insists on some form of higher education to attain professional pilot positions. Otherwise, quit complaining about not being paid and treated like doctors and lawyers. They at least earned the term "white collar" by requiring an education for their professions. Believe me, airline management has figured out that it is in their best interest to keep the pilots under-educated. And they do this while getting many of them to think it's some sort of "favor" by making the hiring standards easier. They are NOT doing you any favors by making college degrees "preferred". If you were in management, which group of pilots would you rather negotiate a new contract against, GED/High School grads or B.S/M.S/PHDs?

Your first mistake is the misconception that an airline pilot is a "white collar" position. We are strictly LABOR brother.

Edit: ps , that was a quote told to me personaly by a NWA 400 pilot

Last edited:
I consider myself a professional, not a tradesman. It's up to you whether you think that's blue collar or white collar.

MAGNUM!! said:
I consider myself a professional, not a tradesman. It's up to you whether you think that's blue collar or white collar.

Then you would you consider a professional racecar driver (NASCAR) a white collar job,,,,intersesting

I'm so bored I will chime in. Lets be smart about this. Those doctors and lawyers get their college degrees in the fields they practice. The pilots with a History degree or degree in Animal Husbandry really could have passed on it and still been good pilots. Our "College" education, if you must, is really in the intense study of the regs, aeronautical info, wx, etc, that we do in order to get our ratings, as well as the real world experience attained prior to getting our dream airline job. So the argument of college being required is foolhardy. There are a lot of PhDs out there who can't figure out how to turn their VCR on.

WHAT IS NEEDED, is for pilots to be educated in basic economics as a minimum. That will bear fruit when it comes to negotiations, explaining the union's course to its members, seeing how the company is doing and what it can really afford, comparing salaries and productivity against competitors, etc. SWA has been doing that for us, as well as SWAPA, so the pilot force (or at least those smart enough to take interest) should be much more informed and able to make better decisions when dealing with management. Bottom line is that college education is not required, but intelligence is, basic economics is, and equally, a desire to become involved in one's future more so than just whining in the cockpit.

1. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
2. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
3. Engaging in a given activity as a source of livelihood or as a career: a professional writer.
4. Performed by persons receiving pay: professional football.
5. Having or showing great skill; expert: a professional repair job.

n.
1. A person following a profession, especially a learned profession.
2. One who earns a living in a given or implied occupation: hired a professional to decorate the house.
3. A skilled practitioner; an expert.

I said I call myself a professional. I didn't make judgements about whether I'm a white/blue collar guy; I said that's up to you.

This on "white-collar" from dictionary.com:

Of or relating to workers whose work usually does not involve manual labor and who are often expected to dress with a degree of formality.

Check and check.

Latest resources

Back