College Degrees

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotOnTheRise

I have always heard that the type of degree one has does not make a difference when it comes to getting a pilot job, whether with an airline, or a corporate flight department. I understand that many pilots, in fact, do not have a college degree at all. I do plan to obtain a college degree, as I am a current college student. Today, however, something strange happened that has left a few questions in my mind, that I hope you all can offer some advice about.

I went today to my college to meet with an advisor so I can schedule classes for next semester. While in her office, she asked me what my goals were, and about my current major. I informed her that my goal was to become a pilot. A little background information; I am majoring in Information Systems, which is a business degree at LSU, where I attend. She then asked me what was more important; obtaining a business degree from LSU, or just obtaining a degree from LSU. I told her what was more important was to get a degree, period. LSU requires a 3.0 to get into and remain in their business school. This is one of only two degrees at LSU that requires such to get into and remain, according to this advisor. She informed me, as a result, that I should change my major to something else, that would be less stressful as far a classes and grade requirements are concerned. This left me a little confused, but also curious.

Is there any particular degree that you all think works well with becoming a pilot, other than a degree specifically in aviation, which LSU does not have? What did you all major in? I have been thinking of changing to climatology, as it seems as though it would go along well with becoming a pilot, but I am just not sure.

Any advice here you guys/gals can offer me?

Thanks,
Chris

Get a degree in something as far from aviation as you can, and make sure it is a degree you can use if you need to. I have a BS in aviation and every month I write that student loan check I wish I would have majored in something else. An aviation degree or anything near it is a waste of time and money.

I think I would enjoy climatology, as weather is an interest of mine, especially hurricanes. I am seriously thinking of switching my major to that. I had a geography class last year that I particularly enjoyed. The professor focuses much of his research on hurricanes, so I have shot him a quick email for some information.

I thought it odd that this advisor would recommend a degree switch, but I do understand where she is coming from. If degree type does not matter, why stress yourself?

Don't worry, I don't plan to major in aviation. I once thought about going to ERAU, but the $25K/year in tuition turned me off. Not to mention that I was told, like you all, that I should not major in aviation.

I feel your pain. The airlines just want you to have a degree. They don't care what it is in. The degree just so them that you can stick to something and finish it. It also shows most of them that they are investing their money and time into an educated person.

I myself attended ERAU and did NOT get a degree in aviation. My degree was in Human Factors/Environmental Psychology.

Good Luck in your choice; I applaud you for asking questions and doing the right think!

Get the easiest degree you can. Why work hard, it doesn't matter. The piece of paper is what counts because once you get it, you probably won't use what you have learned, and once you are at an airline you can use it to wipe your feet with.

PIO said:
Get a degree in something fun and enjoy school! I got mine in history.

This guy has the right idea. I got mine in Chem.

Oh boy! If you want to be a pilot fly airplanes, that is why you will hired at future jobs. Do your degree on the side. You can fly fulltime and do college on the side, you can not go to college full time and build quality MEL turbine time. Only 5 of the 177 airlines hiring make the degree a show stopper.

I would agree.... get a degree in something that you are interested in and would enjoy. It doesn't matter whether it is easy or difficult, as long as you enjoy learning about it. It might also be wise to think about what you would like to do if flying does not work out (you could always develop a medical issue or something that would prevent you from continuing to fly).

Good question! Best of luck!

Why get a degree, the way the industry is going, you are not going to be treated like the professional that you are training to be!!! If you do get a degree, definitely get one outside of aviation. That is something that I kick myself silly over every day!!

Latest resources

Back