College degree to fly cargo???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
WillowRunVortex said:
I did not refer to all civilian pilots as "tokens".

Really?

How did I mistake this:

"Yes they hire the token civilian applicant but they are just that,,,token."

It doesn't matter. It was silly and if you are trying to say that you didn't mean it, then whatever.

As far as the mil/civ thing, it all goes back to the networking thing. Military guys have a better network, therefore, more get in it seems. I'm pretty sure the head guys aren't sitting around saying "Get me all the military guys you can". Then again, maybe they are.

I think I'm done.

Here's a really bizarre idea......
Fly, work, and go to college all at the same time. I did all three starting when I was 31. My only regret is not starting 10 years earlier.
So what if you only get 2 hours of sleep a day for a couple of years...that will pass (the wrinkles and hollow eye sockets unfortunately, remain).
Sleep is a luxury reserved for rich people like Captain Mark.

i like u guys...look as far as mil/civ at fedex..they hire both...there are more military guys than civilian in each class USUALLY..there were 2 in my class of 12 in 95...after that the proprotion changed but there was a civilian guy hiring...then another guy took over who was military the next year and if you did not fly military jets..have a doctorate and do 2 lunar landings you would not get in the door...he was a wack job....i agree that the mil has a much better network...but most of my recs are for civilian buds...so apply and see what happens..and i do sleep well..B-reserve will help you sleep..see ya..and oh yeah...get the college thing

My buddy went to work for FedEx a NavCad, no college degree, started in the right seat of a DA-20 for $400/mo. It was that military time that moved him to the front of the hiring line, plus no one else was applying back in 1975

pilotyip said:
My buddy went to work for FedEx a NavCad, no college degree, started in the right seat of a DA-20 for $400/mo. It was that military time that moved him to the front of the hiring line, plus no one else was applying back in 1975

Pretty comparable wage to todays regionals for first year FO (ruffly $1500/mo in todays dollars).

http://www.cjr.org/tools/inflation/

Plus, thirty years later that guy would be a millionaire.

Hopefully, you stayed friends with him yip.

:D

If I remember right he quit FedEx to go to Braniff back in 1978. I lost touch with him.

Attend college and earn a BS in Accounting....and then fly...you will never have to worry about being unemployed.

fly build time, attend college on the side, accounting and finance are good degrees, it will help you understand money and you can use that in manageing your life.

pilotyip said:

It probably wasn't the fact that he was military so much, as it was the fact that he was a NavCad. Those guys were the elite.

I don't mean to restate the obvious, because I know it's been said millions of times before:

It's not what you know, it's WHO you know.

There are guys with no degrees who don't hear a word from HR, and there are guys with PHd's who don't hear a word from HR. The people who hear something are the ones who KNOW somebody-and some have degrees and some don't. What do they all have in common? A good contact(s)

Latest resources

Back