• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College degree to fly cargo???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clyde they were hurting back in 2001, all the night cargo guys were jumping to their dream jobs at NWA, DAL, UAL, etc. So they had to redefine their competitive mins.

I didn't go to college, wished I had, the road would have been a lot easier. Been fractional for 6 years doing pretty good but not fed ex good. Going to start a side business maybe then I will make that kind of money.

B727QF, are you saying no degree required at UPS?

B727-100QF said:
Definately a NO at UPS.

Perhaps THEN but not now.

A good friend, no degree, 121 furlough, 3 internal recs, was not even given the time of day by the CP.

College degree is definatly required TODAY.

From the UPS website:
Four year degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.

Last edited:
G100driver said:
From the UPS website:
Four year degree from an accredited college or university is preferred.

..............Now is the time where pilotyip chimes in and makes special note of the wording of the above statement. "Four year degree PREFERRED." instead of it saying its "required." :rolleyes:

WillowRunVortex said:
Are you going to try and convince me that FedEx isn't notorious for preferring military folks?

I'm not talking about the civilian success stories there over the last 10 months...tell us about their hiring over the last ten years...

You're so full of it, I'm not sure what to say.

First of all, this issue about FedEx and the military has been hashed over ad nauseum. So I see no reason to get into it again.

Second, looking at your profile, you don't appear to work for FedEx. If I'm wrong, sorry. If I'm not, then how do you know what you're talking about?

There maybe be a slightly bigger percentage of mil guys, but to call all the civilian dudes "TOKENS" is silly, bordering on stupid.

hmmm

I never understood how a degree makes you suddenly more "qualified" for these jobs in question, even at the expense of some hard-earned experience working in the trenches of this industry. Perhaps your ability to compose term papers will assist you better in managing that cockpit fire, right?

A military applicant to FDX/UPS with 2000 hours and a degree is somehow "qualified" above the 6000 hour on-demand cargo driver with a few hours of college and a couple of types.....how exactly?

People are losing focus.

Paradoxus said:
I never understood how a degree makes you suddenly more "qualified" for these jobs in question, even at the expense of some hard-earned experience working in the trenches of this industry. Perhaps your ability to compose term papers will assist you better in managing that cockpit fire, right?

A military applicant to FDX/UPS with 2000 hours and a degree is somehow "qualified" above the 6000 hour on-demand cargo driver with a few hours of college and a couple of types.....how exactly?

People are losing focus.

Maybe it is the question of did you have the drive, determination and the discipline to complete a 4 year degree...it becomes a way to weed out candidates...it cuts 12000 applicants to 7000 with the same flying quals...who knows! but if there was a pilot shortage...you are right..it probably wouldn't factor in then..

VaB said:
First of all, this issue about FedEx and the military has been hashed over ad nauseum.

Ok,

At this point I think you need to go back to the beginning and re-read the entire thread.

The author asked if college was necessary to fly freight. CaptMark stated that if the author wanted "his" job (his profile states that he works for FedEx), go to college.

I agreed and added that if the author wanted to fly for FedEx he would have a better chance with college and a military background.

You stated that yourself here:

VaB said:
There maybe be a slightly bigger percentage of mil guys

I don't think it is a big secret that FedEx likes a military background.

I did not refer to all civilian pilots as "tokens". It was a figure of speech designed to illustrate that you can get hired at FedEx with a civilian background, but you would increase your chances of getting on at FedEx with a military background.

I understand that is changing now somewhat.

Latest resources

Back