• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College degree to fly cargo???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and by starting to early in your career instead of going to college you will have more good contacts and a better shot at every job, thanks for a new slant clyde

pilotyip said:
and by starting to early in your career instead of going to college you will have more good contacts and a better shot at every job, thanks for a new slant clyde

I'm not trying to play devil's advocate or anything, but I just wanted to say that I landed my first real job (real as in multi-turbine) in aviation from a good friend whom I met in college. If not for his help in getting me into the door, I'm not so sure I would be where I am today.

But YIP does make a good point, in that many good contacts are made by working with people already in the field. I still feel it is important to get a degree (or at least a valuable skill in addition to flying), but I'm not confident enough to say with 100% conviction that one must have one in order to succeed. I will say that I am confident that a degree will allow one more options in life. This is just one of those things that must be weighed by each individual since everyone's circumstances are obviously different.

One thing is certain: make sure you are getting into this profession with the understanding that it is an expensive gamble either way you look at it.

It also kinda matters WHERE you went to school....I've gotten a few jobs that way.

pgcfii2002 said:
It also kinda matters WHERE you went to school....I've gotten a few jobs that way.

You're right, my high school made all the difference for me! No college here, just a below 2.0 HS GPA!!!!

pilotyip said:
B727QF, are you saying no degree required at UPS?

Most definately! Heck, I barely graduated HS. Below 2.0 HS GPA. UPS never asked a single question regarding school/education during the interview.

Thanks, 727, I guess UPS is a much smarter airline than I thought, like SWA JB, and AirTran they do not let the presence or absence of a college degree stand in the way of hiring the right pilot. Make that only 4 of 171 airlines presently flying make the degree a show stopper. Fly because you like to.

A college degree gives you an advantage, that's all.

Sometimes odd things make you stand out, if you're a grad
of a certain school the CP attended, Air Force or Navy, mabie
even a specific airplane.

Some companies get thousands of apps a year and need a
way to cut through it easily, so they raise the requirements.

Does a 4 year degree makes you a better pilot. Hell no.
But some bean counter found that degreed pilots have a
.05% lower incidence of failure in intense situations. Sure,
it doesn't apply to real world sceanarios, but this is
aviation, logic need not apply.

If you really want a degree, try an accredited online
college like Thomas Edison State College TESC.edu that
has an aeronautic degree. I'm about to finish mine, and
my schedule doesn't allow time for a normal education.

CE

Latest resources

Back