• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

College degree to fly cargo???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Look at it this way, what would you do if you lose your medical? Think it wont happen? Most medical out before retirement. Think it wont happen for a long time? Ive known many that lost their medical before 30 from things you would never think of. Dont sell yourself short, get a education in something you like other than aviation. You should always have a back up.

CaptainMark said:
i don't see any well paying jobs on that list..

Exactly what I was thinking, unless your career goal is to top out in the $50k-60k/yr pay. No well paying jobs, and very few jobs on there that sound like anything more than just a job.

Oh, but dont forget about that Elevator Installer and Repairer job. That must be a wild and crazy job with endless excitement. No need to go to college for that. No duhh! :rolleyes:

Go to college. (Hypothetical) If the age 60 rule goes away, the new requirements for a Class I might be so strenuous that your mild color vision problems won't allow you to get a physical, then what do you do? You can always fly airplanes, many won't go back to school once they reach a certain age.

So, after your college and your 8 year commitment, you will be at least 30 years old and have about 2000 TT (maybe).

At that age with that low time you better dam_n well hope you get hired at Federal Express. Your regional pilot counter-part will have a 4 year degree and about 8000 TT with about 6000 PIC Jet at that age, all in the civilian passenger realm.
Incidently, a bud of mine (F18) got hired at UPS with less than 2000 so you can count them in also.

My brother in law does not have a college degree, went to a trade school, opened a muffler shop, makes close to $200K/yr.

VaB said:
That's why half the guys are walking around with a big "T" on their shirts. Thanks for clearing that up.

Are you going to try and convince me that FedEx isn't notorious for preferring military folks?

I'm not talking about the civilian success stories there over the last 10 months...tell us about their hiring over the last ten years...

pilotyip said:
BTW FedEx and UPS are the only two cargo outfits I know of that make the college degree a show stopper.

I know 3 people who got hired in 2001 that don't have a college degree.

Purpledog said:
Incidently, a bud of mine (F18) got hired at UPS with less than 2000 so you can count them in also.

That was my point.

I have plenty of friends at Brown, all with civilian backgrounds. Most flew charter for UPS off of YIP to get their foot in the door there.

No friends at Purple.

Latest resources

Back