• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgans future

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"When your day is disintegrating and you are wondering, "What are they going to do with us next?" just relax, hang out, and do not call them. Nothing good can every come of asking questions. They have you for 16 hours. They might even forget about you."

You ever call them because the FO kept asking you what is going on next? Then dispatch or crew scheduling asks you what city are you in? I always find that question kinda funny when i am on the clock.

Remember, here 16 hours can turn into 20. Part 91. I just saw a dude fly 7 days in a row, 7th was a part 91 repo flight. They will do this in a heartbeat.

We need you to fly tomorrow.

Well I'd like to help you out but there is no way I can get a baby sitter for that.

I just saw a dude fly 7 days in a row, 7th was a part 91 repo flight. They will do this in a heartbeat.

How about the... But it's my 7th day... Ah, you blocked in at 1400 yesterday and we don't want you to fly until 1401 today.. You've had your 24 hours off in 7.

HughBeamont said:
These are just a few of the lessons that all Colgan FOs should be taught either in ground school or on IOE:

The absolute best policy for a Colgan pilot is to NEVER, I repeat NEVER pick up your phone without checking the caller ID from the time you check out on your last day until your show time on your first day. NEVER. Unless you want to fly and/or compete for the company whore crown.

There is no concept of "I'll rub your back, you'll rub mine". The complete lack of communication at the mothership means your favor is off the map 5 minutes after you agree to do one. If you want quid pro quo, extract the concession at the time of the favor.

Realize that they have you for 16 hours from your show time every time you come to work. And you might not get home.

If you have a reserve day followed by a day off, expect to have your ass dumped somewhere other than your base, and then travel home on your day off.

Check in with dispatch early the night before you have a reserve day (like 5pm). They don't think up the screwy stuff until far later. Then don't pick up your phone until 5am or 11am, whatever the case may be.

Do not try to assist in solving dispatch problems. Any idea that you offer that makes sense will be immediately discarded, so don't offer it. There's always the chance they'll think of it.

When your day is disintegrating and you are wondering, "What are they going to do with us next?" just relax, hang out, and do not call them. Nothing good can every come of asking questions. They have you for 16 hours. They might even forget about you.

That about sums it up! I'd also try to bid away from maintenance bases. Hot reserve is a terrible thing! :(

All that stuff sounds like my old 135 job. I'll make sure to not answer my cell on days off! As far as getting paid during my two week break thats a negative. Kinda pissed but what can you say. I was going to only have 5 days off and two captains quit so they have to upgrade two others so I lost my sim time. Sucks but the more that leave or upgrade the closer I get. When we get the United stuff from shuttle in Dulles how many pilots do you think were gonna need for that? I sounds like it should be pretty decent

read between the lines... it means those of us who are about to upgrade will have no say.

The bid sheet is useless... see you guys at IAD.

BRA said:
You ever call them because the FO kept asking you what is going on next? Then dispatch or crew scheduling asks you what city are you in? I always find that question kinda funny when i am on the clock.

It's so funny to see FOs behaving exactly the way I behaved three years ago. When I thought that the universe was orderly. And humans rational.

Latest resources

Back