• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I never listen to Colgan rumors because they are all just wishful thinking most of the time.

However, I was in Sterling VA this summer and visited Saab. They did confirm the Colgans were in discussions for the 2000...

turbinej said:
Just FYI the SAAB 2000 was never certified for FAR 121 flying. General Motors had 3 of them back about 3+ years ago. They tried to get them on a 121 cerificate, but could not. Something to do with the certification of the aircraft. It needed something on the aircraft but did not have it when certification was done to meet FAR 121 or 135. It can fly part 91 in the US that is about it. I don't know if you remember at all Pro Air that was operating out of Detroit City running 737. They tried to aquire the SAAB 2000 from GM to start a little regional but were unable due to the certification on them. This was back about 7 or eight years ago.

GM doesn't have a 121 certificate, therefore they don't need them certified for 121 (And why would they, more operating expense). They were however (the Saab 2000) certified for JAR Ops 1 which is slightly more stringent on operating than FAR part 121. (BTW, 121 is how you operate, not how you certify an airplane, that's FAR 25.) Saab 2000 will have no problem being certified on a 121 (operating certificate) in the US. It's all about who writes your operating procedures at your airline at that point, because, it is already certified to fly (Part 25). Big difference Hombre.

Just heard from a Big Cheese in MX at Manasshole that Colgan just signed a deal with Eagle for 20 Saab 340B+ models mainly going to United and Continental. They are also negotiating in aquiring the 10 Mesaba planes up for grabs. There is a possiblity of the Beeches going away but no one has said anything on that. He wouldn't deny the 50 seat rumor saying it's looking more like it will happen sooner than later. I'll see it when I believe it.

Well that's good news. Now if we can only figure out how to get the bids to come a little quicker on the Continental side and get rid of these standups, life would be better.

Latest resources

Back