• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan vs Mesa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i know its not part if the salary but you also gotta think per diem and credit time...not just flight time....

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonrod
Don't go to Mesa if they give you the Beech or Dash.

Don't go unless they give you the props. Quicker upgrades means you'll probably leave mesa as a Capt trying to move up rather than as a f/o leaving to make a lateral move.

Why dont you leave Mesa then and lets not here the sob story! "I cant afford the pay cut" "Going to the bottom of the list" Blah Blah Blah.........

Last but not least, its not our fault you tried to make a career out of a "stepping stone airline" You must be an idiot!

The question was what to expect at Mesa. I answered as honestly as possible. For some bizarre reason, you chose to make this personal, when you could have disputed my points on the merits (I admittedly painted the bleakest picture possible) Then again, I suspect you're not really that familiar with what the average line pilot goes through.

For what it's worth, had I been asked this question 3 years ago, my answer would have been completely different, and very pro-Mesa. Yes, pro-MESA. Alas, things have changed greatly in that time.
  • You suggest that all regionals are basically equal: this is demonstrably untrue.
  • You suggest any pilot who thinks Mesa should be anything other than a five-plus year pilot purgatory is a fool. This is so wrong, on so many levels, I doubt you're even a pilot. It leads me to the only possible conclusion:
Management plant (or naive bootlicker extraordinarie ). 3 posts, poor spelling, on flightinfo (of all places !) to praise Mesa. I've seen this type of post from XX.

For your sake "pilot", I hope your plan to get up and out in less than 5 years works out for you (and your home life survives intact). God knows what will happen if you, say, bust your captain ride, or another 9/11 happens and airlines stop hiring for 5 years, or they continue hiring but don't hire you . . . well, I hope you grow a spine and a brain and start thinking about how some very small changes could make Mesa a much better place.

Then get ready to fight for them, because sure as ALPA is looking to improve life at Mesa, the party on the other side of the table will be perfectly happy to do the opposite if it saves them a few bucks.

Last edited:
Well guys, i got an offer to interview with both companies.. I've read their info on APC. But i want to know what the employees who work for them think. What are they hiring into right now? QOL? I know Mesa contract in up for renewal in Sept.,how will that change things?etc. etc... Thanks for your guys help

They're both pretty undesirable (I'm being polite) companies. I would suggest not going to either. Wait until something better comes along. Having said that, of the two... I'd say Colgan is the lesser of two evils. Mesa is the worst company on earth. Avoid them like the plague. You'd be better off flying Cessnas.

Till they have an offer from a better regional.

What exactly is a "better" regional? That's a very subjective description and it means alot of different things to different guys.
The worst possible thing you can do in this business is "wait".

Colgans bad and getting worse (been there). Mesa, I have been told, will treat you in ways that Colgan mgmt never dreamed up. The industry is changing rapidly. If you are flying right now, work harder at getting offers and wait. Something else better will come along soon. Network!!

Latest resources

Back