Colgan Training contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

av8ercricket

Lets keep this professional and polite please. The person is asking for assistance not sarcasm. We know Colgan does not operate on the up and up and we are only looking out for our safety. Why are then Colgan's people, on a QT, asking pilot's to make sure they are legal to fly (30 in 7), by the end of the week? It has happened to me, I was legal to begin with and the Captain has been flying already for a day or two, then they are shaving my time so money is coming out of my pocket! By then the Captain times out by the 15th or by the 20th of the month and has the rest of the month off. How can you say something, then get yourself black balled?
Getting back to the original problem, is the contract legally enforceable? Why was no one given the contract to look at in advanced? Why is there no recind date? What provisions and rights, if any, were given to the pilot's? Why did they say that they pay per diem and then don't? If a pilot doesn't pass training, then nothing is owed but if they pass and leave early, they do?
You really don't know how good a company is until you seen for yourselves.
user_online.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to being asked about 30/7 issues. I have never been asked, yet. I must be missing something about the rest of your post about the rest of the month off. Explain more please.

As far as a contract, I would assume that if you signed it you agreed to it and must serve out its duration. If you beak a contract can a company sue you for the amount you agreed to pay, well sure that's the point of a contract right? Case in point, try quitting school and telling your student loan's officer your not going to pay cause you don't like school! GARNISHMENT IS IN YOUR FUTURE!
As far as per diem, Colgan does have it but only if you are TDY, they are very clear about this. You fail training then why would you pay, you are not able to fly and serve your obligation for the duration of the contract. You quit then you terminate your end of the deal early, just like not paying your credit card you still owe the money when you close the account.

I think a lot of problems with contracts is people do not understand that they must finish what they start and they try wiggle their way out if they can when they are not as happy as they thought they would be. Look a contract is a contract, if it goes to court the judge most likely will say your good faith and intentions were to serve out the term of the lease. You want out, buy it out and then you will probably have to defend yourself as to why you should not have to pay the defendant's legal charges to haul you but to court.

Its only a year, its not the Marines and your not in Iraq. Keep your word, stop your complaining cause it will just make you more upset and feel more worse than things really are.

Just my thoughts and no I am not a lawyer just been around the block a few times.

Good point Prop2Jet. There is something to say if you join a company and you see unsafe practices, broken FAR's etc.... That is like saying most abortions are because people are raped. The low time CFI's who think they are entitled to airline jobs because they know have 6 0r 7 hundred hours and they are whining because nobody will hire them. So they get on with someone like Colgan to get 121 time then they split for RJ's because now all of a sudden they can get the interview. That is the MAJOR reason why people break the contract. Colgan is far from the model for airlines. At the same time they are far from the worst. This company has been in business for 40 years. Not many of the other companies can claim that. Most of the last 5-6 years has been growth and that isnt easy in this industry. It is a mom and pop airlines trying to play with the big kids. They have problems and it can be extremely frustrating dealing with them especially as a Captain. As far as the time issues. I have never ran into that problem. When I came close they notified me and made the required changes to keep me legal. The fact is you signed a contract. You arent forced and they dont have you sign a blank piece of paper then fill in the contract later. If you pass training and are able to work they want a year from you. So what. It is good experience. Flying turbo props in the northeast for a regional is some of the most challenging flying. Looks good on resume. If you dont think this life is for you or you are waiting to get a call from someone else then do everyone including yourself a favor and dont sign up. Before you apply do some research. That is what forums like this are for. Ask questions. You will get answers.

CoolSidePillow said:
This company has been in business for 40 years. Not many of the other companies can claim that. Most of the last 5-6 years has been growth and that isnt easy in this industry.

Colgan got out of the airline business for quite some time in the late 80's early 90's. Maybe the company stayed in business doing other things, but not as an operating airline.

Contract with my paperwork as well...but if you didn't sign, then you have no contract...but I bet you did!

Has anyone had any trouble with bids served out of seniority?? Second time in 3 months for Feb. What kind of CRAP is that?

Yup,f-ing BS. I have three people under me and they keep getting my lines. Such Crap. You know their operational problems are not my problem, I have to eat and fly, a lack of both irritates me.

contract

A contract is a a contract, but it is not always enforceable. If you can PROVE that you broke the contract due to illegalities by one of the parties then they can not enforce it. HELLO PEOPLE. This is America, not Russia. A contract is also not enforceable if one of the parties had undue leverage when you signed it (IE sign this or your fired) So if they sprang it on you you have something there. So hoard your proof and wait for you day in court; the end result will most likely be an out of court settlement. Once Senator Colgan is made aware a copy of sworn testimony concerning illegal actions by the company bearing his name will be forwarded to (Insert Mannasas newspaper here) I think settlement will not be diffucult. Citing the NTSB probable cause of the fatal accident over 2 years ago due to colgan Mx, as well as a substantially higher statistical probablity of aircraft incidents/engine failures at Colgan and I think you have more than one leg to stand on.
People can spout rhetoric all they want to make themselves feel better about their horrible nightmare of a job, "well you signed it." Well they never told me in indoc that Mx control, dispatch and crew scheduling would attempt to get me to break FARS either. Colgan can be an ok place to go if you know what you are getting into, and are willing to put up with it, and not every employee is put in these situations. The fact is these situations happened Colgan when I was there and I quit, and because of the companies actions during my employment I am not legally required to continue to work in that environment.

-I'm not a lawyer, but I do have one.

Latest resources

Back