• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan to get Q-400's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I def. see colgan picking up some new flying. i hope they make the jump to new aircraft thinking ahead to the future. The saabs are sweet but getting old. And now that airlines are taking a good nother look at power paddled planes i think it might not be a bad idea to get on the front edge of this wave and secure the future.

Colgan is not confused about what they are. they are a low cost people movers. They move them with Turbo props and they do it as cheap as possible. They don't kid themselves, this is a lean industry with very narrow margins and the market share is mostly ticket price driven. Moving people from small places who cannot be moved profitably any other way. I think this is why they will make it. most of the markets they fly would be losing cash by the ton with high priced regional jet service. Colgan does what Colgan does better than anyone else and the airlines are starting to see that. As long as they stay inexpensive and reliable the majors will be "doin the Colgan" more and more.

I guess the numbers last month were very good for colgan. i think on the united side they were their best express carrier! can you can believe it? for all its craziness i think Colgan does deliver what it promised: low cost people moving.

As for working here, could be a little better. wish there was some better bennies but i view it for what it is. training. If you have family and what not could be a little tough.

I hope to be "doin the Colgan" in a 70 seat weed whacker soon. tho we won't hear anything about it until ten minutes after show time!

But all jokes aside: we all know on this board what the best Colgan really has to offer is: a bunch of bad a$$ pilots who are clearly undercompensating for their man hood by flying t-props who can fly the f'n SH!t out of these planes better than anyone else in the industry!

weeeaaaaahhhhhhh weeeeeahhhhhhhh<------ long live beta!

Last edited:
BRA said:
This is exactly correct. I remember when the rumor was going during reccurent in january of 2005. People hoped it was true, but no one really believed it. Colgan was a Northeast carrier and that was it. A houston base flying for CAL with 10 saabs seemed like something someone dreamed up. I would think many thought IAH would go to all outstation basing as well, but that hasn't seemed to happen yet either. You never know. The company has been pretty aggressive about getting new flying over the past few years.

I agree here. Colgan always surprises people. They are primed for more growth. Nobody thought they could handle what they bit off with CAL and United. It has gone remarkably well. I wouldn't rule out any further expansion. All the rumors of the last year became true. I wouldn't count out Colgan in any way. They've doubled in size the last two years successfully. I can see that happen again over the next two years. Maybe not 69 aircraft, but certainly more...just wait and see. I would bet an announcement is forthcoming in the next few months.

Just what colgan needs more planes no money to fix them and no money to pay their people, but then again why should they care they have nice homes and cars Seems people especially on the mech side are desperate or just willing to jepordize their license to keep them in the money scarey !! I feel bad for all you colganites to have to work under the iron hand of the colgans but then again there are some that enjoy punishment !!

well if they get 70 seaters that will be a real nice ride for them to carry mechanics from base to base in, or to reposition crews in.

saab fixr said:
Just what colgan needs more planes no money to fix them and no money to pay their people, but then again why should they care they have nice homes and cars Seems people especially on the mech side are desperate or just willing to jepordize their license to keep them in the money scarey !! I feel bad for all you colganites to have to work under the iron hand of the colgans but then again there are some that enjoy punishment !!

You should know by now that in this industry today, this stuff doesn't really matter. The jobs are scarce and pay is low for the jobs there are. Further expansion may change that on the positive side, one can hope. Having a job right now with fast upgrades and decent pay isn't punishment. For many it's the best they can hope for right now.

saab fixr said:

must have worked at manassas. i dont' know about manassas, but albany does a pretty good job with what they have to work with. hope fixing barbie jets is fun.

:nuts: Pilots are people that cant handle mechanical things!!
I was looking on the web for the Colgan CD? where do i find it
Is there a dance school i can attend to learn the colgan :laugh:

saab fixr said:
:nuts: Pilots are people that cant handle mechanical things!!
I was looking on the web for the Colgan CD? where do i find it
Is there a dance school i can attend to learn the colgan :laugh:

Doesn't one of the Colgans own a dance studio in Wakeman Court? Surely they teach it there.

Q-400's? That is a big step for CJC. A whole new type of aircraft that they would have to get new as a lease. Being that CJC doesnt pay bills for parts or fuel or hotel rooms that might be a problem with credit. Of course there is MX. It isnt that the mechs dont know what they are doing but they never have parts and are still told to fix the planes so their attitudes are terrible and you cant blame them. Saab parts are much more expensive than Beech parts and no doubt Dash parts would be even more expensive. Those planes are FADEC and full EFIS with optional ACARS and FMS which of course CJC would decline that option. So Class I navigation with a plane that does 360 kts. Of course. ATC loves us already. No Q-400 qualified pilots or check airman so that will be a tast. When they started up with SAABS they started with one plane and that was slow going and even turned it back in for a time. To keep CAL happy they are going to have to move a bit quicker because that plane will competing against other companies for flying. USAIR gave CJC routes that wasnt profitable to fly with a wholly owned such as Alleghany/Piedmont and when the runs became very profitable such as Portland.. USAIR took them back so CJC didnt really have to compete that were basically bringing there own routes such as CHO-LGA, HYA,ACK,MVY-LGA and the EAS routes plus picking up the scraps as Piedmont downsized and couldnt cover the flying. I agree CJC has been aggressive pursuing flying perhaps because the Senator has less to do with operations and they want to be more than Ma&Pa charter service but they still run it like Ma & Pa even as they grow. Scheduling and Dispatch together make up an epic cluster****
So it may be a good thing for the company and those of us in upper portion of seniority that can bid for transition and get a new type rating and "glass" time OR it can be a bit more than CJC can handle.

Latest resources

Back