Colgan Starts at $14,400?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ShyFlyGuy said:
I'm not justifying Colgan's 1st year pay, but also consider that if you put a little effort into it, you can fly 1200 hours a year in the 1900 at $20/hr... $24,000 a year, head and shoulders above ExpressJet's 1st year pay.

Yeah, and then when you get violated and fired for breaking the 121 regs for hours of flight time in a year, you wont have to complain about that $h!tty pay rate.

1200/year is legal in a B1900 or any other 19-seater under FAR121.

On the other hand, I love the reasoning that you can fly at Colgan and beat ExpressJet's first year pay just because you can work more (and consequently have no home life) in a smaller aircraft.

Regardless of the pay, I bet dear 'ol Kit will gladly take your money to let you talk to a Colgan rep at one of his little shindigs.

I wont even go into the FAA's logic of allowing more flight time in an aircraft that by its nature and the nature of the operations it flies in is more tiring to fly...

Check your facts beforehand

This is advice for all journalists and my fellow pilots...check your facts! That info was readily available and it's unacceptable that a reporter from the Washinton Post AND AirInc were so wrong.

In addition the B1900 guys are allowed LEGALLY to do 1200 because of how they were certified.

Maybe if we spent a little more time verifying facts that we read or the moron next to us in the cockpit or crew room was spouting (instead of taking them as fact) we'd have a lot less knee-jerk reactions and hate spouting over incorrect information!

vtchaz said:
Maybe if we spent a little more time verifying facts that we read or the moron next to us in the cockpit or crew room was spouting (instead of taking them as fact) we'd have a lot less knee-jerk reactions and hate spouting over incorrect information!

Best advice I've seen on here in a while...

Pay

It drives me nuts how bad the pay is at the "Commuters" or
the "regionals". The best thing we can all do is quit. Let the
chips fall where they may. (And i did).
What is ironic is that you can go out and get your class "DZ"
drivers licence for $500 and start making $45,000 right off
the bat.
Or you could become a pilot and spend $60k and 4 years later
start making $18k, if you could land a regional job. Something
is very very wrong with this picture.

And while i am here....
It appears to me that the Unions do not have any power at
all over anything. How did they 10 years ago approve these
pathetic wages? Stepping stone or not people still have to
eat!

ShyFlyGuy said:
I'm not justifying Colgan's 1st year pay, but also consider that if you put a little effort into it, you can fly 1200 hours a year in the 1900 at $20/hr... $24,000 a year, head and shoulders above ExpressJet's 1st year pay.

Sure sounds like justification to me and one of the dumbest I've seen. 'A little effort.' Try flying the line 100 hours a few months in a 1900 then come back and tell me it takes 'a little effort.' Pretty sure most want to have a life outside of their jobs. Don't worry dude the newhire koolaid will wear off eventually.

Last edited:
dalegribble said:
I take that back. the gals in Hunts Point probably make more

Oh the good ole' days ... nothing like taking a drive by Hunts Point .........

BTW ... I'll be finishing up my first year at Colgan here soon and I'll come in over $25,000 for the year .... Yet to have less than a 100 hr credit month ... Not everyone gets that lucky but goes to show it's definetly not the worst place ...

I keep seeing you guys carrying cases of water and cokes to the planes in iah...do you all really have to stock the galley yourselves??

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back