Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dingo222

Here's a thought after a few brewski's:

These thoughts are based on the obvious, not the rumors....

Fact 1: We know Colgan can't fully staff the Q400 at this point. We are losing captains left and right to normal attrition. Colgan captains are geting hired left and right. Colgan recruiting has done a great job filling the FO void as obvious by the lack of open FO time. But the Fact remains, we are way short on captains on all 3 airframes.

Fact 2: We will start staffing the Q400 before any union contract takes place that either a) puts fences between the pilot groups or b) merges them.

So that being said, will PCL pilots be asked to fill the void and fly Colgan planes????

Think about it. Colgan can't do it. PCL has junior captains on reserve right now. PCL corp spent bucu dolla on those q400's and they will not sit idle. IF colgan can't produce the pilots, will PCL corp mgmt offer PCL airlines pilots the choice to sit reserve or to hold a line flying a q400 for colgan? There is nothing stoping PCL Mgmt from doing this, and ALPA wouldn't stop it because according to contract all new flying should go to PCL pilots.

I have several friends that are PCL captains and Fo's and this is a a hot topic. East coat base; chance to get off reserve and hold a line.

Coffee talk, talk amongst yourselves............

Here's a thought after a few brewski's:

These thoughts are based on the obvious, not the rumors....

Fact 1: We know Colgan can't fully staff the Q400 at this point. We are losing captains left and right to normal attrition. Colgan captains are geting hired left and right. Colgan recruiting has done a great job filling the FO void as obvious by the lack of open FO time. But the Fact remains, we are way short on captains on all 3 airframes.

Fact 2: We will start staffing the Q400 before any union contract takes place that either a) puts fences between the pilot groups or b) merges them.

So that being said, will PCL pilots be asked to fill the void and fly Colgan planes????

Think about it. Colgan can't do it. PCL has junior captains on reserve right now. PCL corp spent bucu dolla on those q400's and they will not sit idle. IF colgan can't produce the pilots, will PCL corp mgmt offer PCL airlines pilots the choice to sit reserve or to hold a line flying a q400 for colgan? There is nothing stoping PCL Mgmt from doing this, and ALPA wouldn't stop it because according to contract all new flying should go to PCL pilots.

I have several friends that are PCL captains and Fo's and this is a a hot topic. East coat base; chance to get off reserve and hold a line.

Coffee talk, talk amongst yourselves............

My only thought about this is: Who the hell says "brewskis" anymore??? The 1980's called and...........

My only thought about this is: Who the hell says "brewskis" anymore??? The 1980's called and...........

and the 80's answered with who list's cfi and pa-28 in thier profile anyhow.......... answer the question or find a new thread

anyhow? Dont you mean anywho?
Last time I checked, a Cherokee is an aircraft and CFI is a rating.
But Im not qualified on the Holiday Inn Express aircraft or have a 9.6 rating on hotornot...whatever the heck that means.

Last edited:
it is funny though that you said brewski's...admit it..

How many pilots that are on the Q400 list have left??? I didn't think that many had..maybe i was wrong.. How many pilots are getting trained for the Q a month?? Isn't it 10 a month..again i might be wrong. From what I see there are plenty to fill the classes until at least the spring of next year. The only problem I see is hiring enough FO's for attrition in addition to the Q's. It would mean more than the 20 or so a month we are getting right now.

On the other hand, I heard a rumor that as soon as the August or September upgrade class is finished, they have pretty much run out of F/O's to upgrade..at least ones that meet the minimum hours..could get interesting.

Perhaps one or two Pinnacle pilots who live near Newark might covet the Q400's, but not at their current rates of pay.

To be quite honest, Pinnacle cannot staff our airline. A recent recruiting trip netted 1 hire. We are trying to hire 24 street captains as we are out of FO's either willing or qualified to upgrade. We have been forced to cancel flights due to lack of crews. I don't think any Colgan pilot needs to worry one minute about a Pinnacle pilot trying to come over and fly a turbo p when they won't upgrade at PCL.

I would actually think it would be the other way around. Colgan pilots could get true jet time, fly above the weather, have an APU, and have more earning potential on a fast moving seniority list. I think it would be like Ross Perot's sucking sound. Pinnacle would suck up every last willing Colgan pilot just to keep our airline running.

I believe Pinnacle filled 14 of the 40 captain spots needed for November flying.

F.O. shortage is just as bad. 'Denied due to staffing' seems to be the norm at pinnacle.

PCL Management doesn't think ahead. They even admitted it during a conference call. They worry about whats happening now.

All the lines this year have been around 90 hours a month. Wait til December rolls around. Isn't that when the the CRJ-900's for Delta come online?

But oh.. PREF BID will solve all our shortage problems! Lets see what the sick call rate is in August.

Oh boy. Its going to get REAL ugly.

Latest resources

Back