• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan overheard in EWR today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is colgan allowed to use reverse on those things? We aren't supposed to at PDT... Think about THAT jet drivers!

I've sat in in the RJ with 10 knots + on the tail for TO and not being able to go, but the Boeings were still saying they were legal for TO. I don't know what their tail wind is, but seems more than 10kts.

So in other words, someone landing an airplane 1 kt BELOW it's published numbers is newsworthy?

I hear someone out in Montana yesterday landed at close to their crosswind limitation. Better get on that.....

The standard tailwind component on the Q400 is 15 knots, as we use in Japan. At Colgan, we specifically paid extra to get the 20 knot tailwind endorsement to fully utilize runway 11 at EWR and yes flaps 35 is a requirement. The 20kt tailwind is applicable to take off and landing. I've landed many times in EWR on 11 with 20kt on the tail no problem. With the spoilers and braking that airplane has, a short field landing in tailwind is a non issue.

Is it prohibited there or just not encouraged?

It is not prohibited at PDT by any means, i wouldn't even go so far as to say 'not encouraged'. Really there just isnt need for the use of reverse thrust on the smaller dash models, the 'disc' section pretty much removes all forward thrust, the ground spoilers/wheel brakes take care of the rest.

That said I've seen it used plenty of times, some ppl think it saves on brake wear, some people just use it every time even if they dont need it at all.

Latest resources

Back