Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
suupah said:
what are the internal mins?

Right now about 2000 tt and 1000 time-in-type for the Saab. Yes, higher than ATP mins. These are insurance requirements and company mins. There is a little flexiblilty. 1800 tt and 1200 time-in-type will also work. 800 in type is about the min for both airplanes. The company is also requiring your PC as a FO to be clean (no TP's).

Most pilots average about 750 hours per year. Some get toward the 900 hour mark, but its tough and only a few are willing to fly that many days. Therefore if you get hired with a 1000 hours you can expect the possibility of an early upgrade because you'll have the time requirements six to seven months before the 500 hour guy. This is what's happening now. I just flew with an excellent FO that could have been a captain months ago, but for the time. Hired in January of '05 he's just now getting to the point of having 1300 hours in the plane and 1800 total. He'll upgrade in September.

30West said:
Yes but you have to draw the line somewhere. Hell I paid for my own PPL, Comm, Inst, Multi, CFII. Does that make me a PFT?

At the same time there were others who were hired off the street right alongside of them.

Yes, but where you appear to be drawing the line is nowhere near where it should be. Unless you got all those quals in 6 months and took out a loan, of some sort, you did what many, many other people did. There is a difference.

Last edited:
2000tt and what 1000 in type, not from the mouth of the chief pilot. Try 2200TT and 500 in type. With the outflow of pilots, I would expect to see these times drop again.

C yah

BSkin said:
Maybe not officially PFT, as I don't think the checks were written to Colgan, but there were quite a few people hired in a short period ( in '02 or '03) that were right out of the same flight school in FL -- $25,000 for 250 multi kind of thing.

Lots of Gulf$treamers at XJT, CHQ, and AWAC. Does that make them PFT as well?

Mr Wu said:
Lots of Gulf$treamers at XJT, CHQ, and AWAC. Does that make them PFT as well?

They were PFT at gulfstream, then moved on. I have a few friends that did that. At least they had some part 121 experience, some more than others. CJC hired right out of the flight school, with no experience at other than the field they trained and x-countried to. CJC was PFT at that short time, bottom line. I did a few of these people's IOE and was asked by JB personally, how the PFTrs were doing. Just clarifying that the statement previously stated that CJC was never PFT is false. If you think I hold something against these folks, you'd be wrong.

Try doing IOE and coming into BOS, or LGA with a PFTr ending their comm with tower with "Over".

BSkin said:
They were PFT at gulfstream, then moved on. I have a few friends that did that. At least they had some part 121 experience, some more than others. CJC hired right out of the flight school, with no experience at other than the field they trained and x-countried to. CJC was PFT at that short time, bottom line. I did a few of these people's IOE and was asked by JB personally, how the PFTrs were doing. Just clarifying that the statement previously stated that CJC was never PFT is false. If you think I hold something against these folks, you'd be wrong.

Try doing IOE and coming into BOS, or LGA with a PFTr ending their comm with tower with "Over".

The question I was asking was whether you consider XJT, CHQ, and AWAC as PFT because they hired out of Gulf$tream too. Going to gulf$tream was not a condition of employment at Colgan so I don't see how you would consider us PFT. It is smart business for Chuck to hire from there because it pretty much guarantees them passing training as they all have 250 hrs in the 1900. I'm sure there are a high number of Gulfstreamers at Skyway, Great Lakes, and Big Sky too. This is the same as saying that SWA is/was PFT because they required a 737 type to get hired.

Mr Wu said:
The question I was asking was whether you consider XJT, CHQ, and AWAC as PFT because they hired out of Gulf$tream too. Going to gulf$tream was not a condition of employment at Colgan so I don't see how you would consider us PFT. It is smart business for Chuck to hire from there because it pretty much guarantees them passing training as they all have 250 hrs in the 1900. I'm sure there are a high number of Gulfstreamers at Skyway, Great Lakes, and Big Sky too. This is the same as saying that SWA is/was PFT because they required a 737 type to get hired.

Mr. Wu, did I ever say anything about Gulfstream, except replying to you? I don't consider cjc pft, they tried it for a few months, and it wasn't from Gulfstream. It was a little north of there. And, if you really, really need it in black and white, NO I DON'T CONSIDER THEM PFT. HAPPY!?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back