Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fred Rogers

Neighbor
That is one of the biggest issues at Colgan air. Their systematic understaffing. it isn't because of a pilot shortage, it is by design. That is how they reduce their costs and create a greater margin. The only problem is, as we all know, the pilots pay the cost of understaffing.

If they gave us a portion of the salary of the unhired pilots needed to run sufficient reserve coverage that might take some of the edge off. Or perhaps if there were completion incentives in teh form of monetary bonuses.

That is one of the biggest issues at Colgan air. Their systematic understaffing. it isn't because of a pilot shortage, it is by design. That is how they reduce their costs and create a greater margin. The only problem is, as we all know, the pilots pay the cost of understaffing.

If they gave us a portion of the salary of the unhired pilots needed to run sufficient reserve coverage that might take some of the edge off. Or perhaps if there were completion incentives in teh form of monetary bonuses.

Or a union to address QOL issues, retain good people, and cut down the turnover this company has seen.

I think a union would save Colgan money in the long run. Get a good contract in here and it would give the people more opportunity to stay here if they choose, upgrade, and then decide what they want to do with their career.

Think how many FOs have left as soon as their year contract is up? Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper to have those people stick around for a few more years, get their time, upgrade, THEN leave if they choose?

Why not allow for better QOL for Colgan Pilots to allow for this? Why not allow for protection while you are at Colgan so you don't need to do a carpet dance at the interview board at Continental.

Bad things happen to good people. ALPA would protect us if something bad happens to a Colgan pilot during the day to day line operations.

That Mesaba letter should be posted in EVERY crewroom at Colgan. Read it, think about it, and see what it is like to go from a family owned company to one on wall street.

I wonder what the next Mike Colgan letter will have to say to Mesaba and Pinnacle MEC letters. I would love to see letters of support from all the ALPA MEC's for the Colgan Pilots especially United, Continental, USAirways and Northwest. Then what's Mike and Phil gonna say then when our Mainline Partners MEC's are behind us?

We don't need those letters. We already have all of ALPA's MEC's support on this and I'm certain that they will be in this with us for the long haul.

So have you sent your card in yet? Still not sure? Then let's talk about it...

For those of you that have sent in your cards, Thank you

"within 4 years we will be the top paid pilots in the industry"

Just illustrates that misleading statements or wishful thinking can come from either side of the negotiating table.

Last edited:
I heard Pinnacle wants to merge the lists is there any truth to this?

who knows...with the way that pilots are dropping like flys it wouldn't surprise me. I heard Colgan lost another 15 pilots this month already alone and Pinnacle is losing peeps left and right.

Latest resources

Back