• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ehaecker

Tail Dragger
***I do not work for Colgan***
Saw this on another forum. Though it would be worth posting here given the recent scrutiny on regionals, especially Colgan, and crew rest (or lack thereof).

Beginning immediately, fatigue calls will not be accepted:

1. If the crewmember has had a period of at least 12 hours rest prior to the start of the duty day.*
2. If the crewmember is returning from days off.
3. For future or downline flights. That is, a crewmember cannot declare “I’m going to be fatigued on my next flight”, or “I’m calling in fatigue for tomorrow”.

*Mitigating circumstances that prevent a rest period from being fully utilized will be considered when determining whether a fatigue call is acceptable.

The Safety Department will ultimately determine whether a fatigue call is acceptable or not. However, a fatigue call that is not accepted will be referred to the Chief Pilot or Inflight Base Manager for disposition.

Any further blatant abuse of the fatigue option will be addressed as a disciplinary action, and fatigue resulting from an improper use of rest periods or personal time off duty will be treated as missed trips. This policy begins immediately.

Saw this on another forum. Though it would be worth posting here given the recent scrutiny on regionals, especially Colgan, and crew rest (or lack thereof).

1. If the crewmember has had a period of at least 12 hours rest prior to the start of the duty day.*
3. For future or downline flights. That is, a crewmember cannot declare “I’m going to be fatigued on my next flight”, or “I’m calling in fatigue for tomorrow”.

*Mitigating circumstances that prevent a rest period from being fully utilized will be considered when determining whether a fatigue call is acceptable.

The Safety Department will ultimately determine whether a fatigue call is acceptable or not. However, a fatigue call that is not accepted will be referred to the Chief Pilot or Inflight Base Manager for disposition.

Any further blatant abuse of the fatigue option will be addressed as a disciplinary action, and fatigue resulting from an improper use of rest periods or personal time off duty will be treated as missed trips. This policy begins immediately.

Understanding that a company shouldn't force someone to fly who is fatigued, there should be some sort of method of preventing abuse of a fatigue policy. There's one in every bunch...

Understanding that a company shouldn't force someone to fly who is fatigued, there should be some sort of method of preventing abuse of a fatigue policy. There's one in every bunch...

There is a method. It starts with the hiring process. Advertise your job thru pay and benefits to attract the best pilots. In this case good honest pilots and not just people with a license. How many times have you heard people with multiple job offers accept Colgan over Expressjet, ASA, wisconsin or RAH? Not often unless they want to live in one of their outstation bases. I'm not saying everyone there is dishonest but I'm willing to bet there are a few more goofballs there then at other place that probably discriminate a little more during the hiring process or pay more.

This needs to be sent to the FAA, NTSB, politicians and the media....if this is legit.

The local Buffalo Newspaper just had a scathingly sensationalistic story slamming regional pilots. I'm sure that reporter would wet himself with this memo, if it's actually legit.

The local Buffalo Newspaper just had a scathingly sensationalistic story slamming regional pilots. I'm sure that reporter would wet himself with this memo, if it's actually legit.

Email it to him then. His name and email address should be on the article.
Or post his article here and I'll email it to him.

My first thought when I read the title of this thread, having not read a single post, was "Colgan's fatigue policy is that you are not fatigued until scheduling says you are." That was my experience. It is funny that the post was just an affirmation of that thought.

You can see the intent of this alleged memo: don't say you are fatigued just to get out of working. However, Colgan is missing the reality of fatigue. You CAN be fatigued at the beginning of a trip after 3 or 4 days off. A newborn at home, a sick family member, a party in the hotel room next to the one you were in the night before your show...all valid reasons to be fatigued with legal rest. the FAA does not put limits on fatigue. Colgan cannot put restrictions on what qualifies as fatigued. This will eventually bite the company in the butt.

Latest resources

Back