• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Cares

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Bottom line is to VOTE...Yes or No, it doesn't matter as long as you cast a vote. The second re-incarnation of the Colganpilotgroup is nothing less than destructive to the entire pilot group. ALPA drive or not this kind of tactic ultimately serves only the self-interest of the individuals that set-up this website.
Do not believe everything that you read or hear from either side. Use your brain and make an informed decision based on accurate information. After all, isn't this what we are trained to do in the cockpit? Obviously, there is a lot of high emotion over the issue of representation and fear of the unknown.
I shudder to think of what Colgan Air will look like a year from August 21st without representation. Pinnacle Air Holdings has grandiose plans for Colgan Air, but I have a feeling that they plan to continue the paradigm of low-balling the employees (not just the pilots) while company officers and executives reap most of the benefits. The basic mind-set of Colgan Air fits right into this model and that's why it was sold to Pinnacle Air Holdings.
Personally, my level of disgust has reached a crescendo and I plan to vote in the affirmative for ALPA, but I am going to take T.B.'s advice. If you don't like it here, LEAVE...This is our corporate culture. All your hard work, dedication and professionalism ultimately means very little to CJC as long as the status qou continues...ad nauseum...
With that said, just friggin VOTE... Y or N...If you don't vote then you are doing a great disservice to yourself and your fellow Colgan Air pilots.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Colgan vs Mesa (t-prop flying). Good friend of mine is a Saab CA at Colgan. I'm a Dash 8 CA at Mensa.(worlds smartest airline). We fly roughly same seats in the same region on same year pay. We are ALPA, he is not.

Rule #1: If you are trying to make a point to other regional airline pilots, never compare yourself to Mesa.

He will work 15 days a month and still pull a larger paycheck then I would working 19. We discuss many details of each operatioin and QOL and Colgan has us beat hand down.

Rule #2: When trying to make said point don't provide evidence that what you are saying is B.S.

In the above example the Mesa pilot gets four more days off per month AND he makes more money than you.

As I understand, Colgan management has upped FO pay to help attrition. At an ALPA airline, it would take years to get this done, even if management wanted to do it. (the union would ask for more, or not realy put effort into it becasue their focus is on the RJ pay rates.)

ALPA does not staff airlines. If the airline cannot keep their classes full it is mostly likely an indication of poor pay or working conditions. If the Company wished to timely address the problem they would sit down and negotiate with ALPA for new pay rates and work rules.

Does ALPA work for you? Who knows. Just got a letter from Herndon saying my insurance plan payments are delinquant. I didn't ever sign up for that.

If you would have read the literature provided to you when you were a new hire you would understand that you get free loss of license insurance during your probationary year unless you turn it down (you obviously didn't turn it down). This coverage rolls into subsequent years unless you cancel it but it is no longer free. If you have failed to keep current on your agreed to obligations it is your fault. Are you delinquent on your energy bill too?

Say yourself the headach and disregard alpa. Try Teamsters. They have a good mob relationship and could realy rough up the mom and pops at Colgan.

Yeah....the teamsters have done wonderful things to further the cause of the professional pilot.

Colgan vs Mesa (t-prop flying). Good friend of mine is a Saab CA at Colgan. I'm a Dash 8 CA at Mensa.(worlds smartest airline). We fly roughly same seats in the same region on same year pay. We are ALPA, he is not. He will work 15 days a month and still pull a larger paycheck then I would working 19. We discuss many details of each operatioin and QOL and Colgan has us beat hand down.

As I understand, Colgan management has upped FO pay to help attrition. At an ALPA airline, it would take years to get this done, even if management wanted to do it. (the union would ask for more, or not realy put effort into it becasue their focus is on the RJ pay rates.)

It seems that you are a relatively new Mesa pilot, probably just recently coming off of probation. Because of that, you probably aren't fully aware of how Mesa's contract came into being. I suggest you do a search for Freedom Airlines, circa 2002. You'll find plenty of information. Cliff's Notes: the Mesa pilots had to accept a substandard contract in order to secure industry leading scope to stop the outsourcing of their jobs to then-nonunion Freedom.

Does ALPA work for you? Who knows. Just got a letter from Herndon saying my insurance plan payments are delinquant. I didn't ever sign up for that. Say yourself the headach and disregard alpa.

Dointime is just a little bit off on this. You were automatically enrolled in basic insurance benefits as an apprentice member for free. However, now that you're off probation you have to pay to keep those benefits. If you choose not to keep them, then you don't have to opt out, just don't pay the bill that you were just sent. If you read the letter that came with it, it will tell you that not sending payment will cancel your insurance automatically, and you won't be responsible for the charges. If you have any trouble, PM me or call ALPA Membership Services at the main Herndon number.

Try Teamsters. They have a good mob relationship and could realy rough up the mom and pops at Colgan.

If you drive a truck for a living, then Teamsters is for you. If you fly an airplane for a living, then Teamsters doesn't have the slightest clue how to represent you, and they really don't care.

You were automatically enrolled

You do get automatically enrolled but you can still cancel the free policy. Doing so would be stupid though.

DoinTime,
I didnt compare "my self" to Mesa. I am at mesa. Thought I made that clear. Perhaps not. Just sayin my bud at Colgan gets MORE days of consistantly.

The insurance part I did not know. Guess they should have given us the literature when we were new hires. ALPA did not even give us our own copy of the contract. (not taking a stab at our volunteers, I appreciate all their hard work. They are forced to fly the line and have a hard time getting union leave.)

PCL: I am quite aware of Freedom-A and use this very argument to those who say we signed a bad contract. I have a few CCAir buds and they too were helped out by ALPA in taking that contract. Those were the two things good we got. The rest will be worked on in upcomming negotiations. Thanks for the info on the insurance. I will contact herndon.

Teamsters: Just would like to see the maffia mentality brought back. Perhaps JO could get his own pair of cement shoes.

The only thing that Colgan Cares about is that you stay non-union. They will promise all kinds of things, but if a union vote fails, don't expect any of it.

Ask some of the old-time Pinnacle pilots what life was like before ALPA. You will be in for some interesting stories. I can't imagine what JO would do to his pilots at Mesa if he didn't have ALPA.

While ALPA will never be perfect because imperfect people volunteer and run the organization, it does give you a lawful avenue to pursue pay, workrule, and protection improvements. Even SWA, who has arguably the best relationship with their management has a union for exactly this reason. I highly recommend voting in a union at any airline for that one time you need to talk to "the man" whether it is your fault or not.

Colgan Cares:

About having a readily abusable labor group completely free of all pesky work rules!

Colgan Cares? Yeah right. If you care start by not scheduling min rest, pay for vacation time during people's scheduled days off--VDO = 0 credit wtf?
How about commuter clauses, better health insurance?

BOTTOM LINE FELLAS A CHICKS, COLGAN CARES ALRIGHT, ABOUT THEMSELVES AND THEIR INTERESTS.

YOU WANT SOMEONE TO CARE ABOUT YOU BUY A TEDDY BEAR, YOU WANT ACTION AND RESULTS GO WITH ALPA!

Latest resources

Back