Colgan base change??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T-Storm Chaser said:
CRW is kinda high on cost of living too, $370/month for a studio apartment that is tiny and in an alright neigborhood.

Not to argue the cultural merits of Charlie West, but where have you lived in your life that makes you think $370/month is a lot for anything more than a van down by the river?

ORF and HEF are both great areas to live. The lines in ORF are awesome; just about everyone gets 15+ days off a month with 80+ hrs. HEF is close to DC - great culture and awesome social scene - but a lot more expensive. Plus, every single day has a deadhead drive at the beginning or end of your schedule. That's a lot of time logged in the Colgan van...

Hello,
I think that any base is as good as you make it. Granted, CRW isn't Los Angeles or NYC. However, I used to fly into CRW five days a week as a freightdog and always enjoyed it. I've also been based in Beckley, live in SW Virginia and speak with some intelligence about the area. If you like the outdoors; fishing, hunting, hiking, etc...West Virginia is a great state for all of those activities. I am not completely sure what the non-rev situation is, but I think CRW has flights to many destinations that wo"uld make a good weekend trip or at least connect to a hub.
West Virginia isn't for everyone I'll grant you that, but I wouldn't make generalizations based on what you read here. Take a quick trip and spend some time in the city and surrounding area. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you see and are able to do on your off-duty time.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Kaman said:
Hello,
I think that any base is as good as you make it. Granted, CRW isn't Los Angeles or NYC. However, I used to fly into CRW five days a week as a freightdog and always enjoyed it. I've also been based in Beckley, live in SW Virginia and speak with some intelligence about the area. If you like the outdoors; fishing, hunting, hiking, etc...West Virginia is a great state for all of those activities. I am not completely sure what the non-rev situation is, but I think CRW has flights to many destinations that wo"uld make a good weekend trip or at least connect to a hub.
West Virginia isn't for everyone I'll grant you that, but I wouldn't make generalizations based on what you read here. Take a quick trip and spend some time in the city and surrounding area. You may be pleasantly surprised by what you see and are able to do on your off-duty time.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Hey you former Package Ex. guy (Mark F. maybe?), we are the only ones that fly into there all the time! Yeah, if you are into all the outdoors stuff you listed, then it isn't too bad in the spring thru fall as long as you take it in small doses. Winter is dismal. Since you flew into there all the time, you know about the locals. Run when you hear the banjos! You should also know about the extremely DISMAL social scene. Don't get me wrong, there are a select few that are decent looking, but the ratio of good looking women to downright cows is really depressing. The state flower is a satellite dish. And the pilots that ACTUALLY live there wish that they didn't.

Good Luck

"As southern as I am, I said to myself, were there any words in that?" j/k
I say do what you think is best, good luck =)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back