Colgan Asked to PFT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

givpicachanc

I got a call today from Regional Airline academy today. they said i could have a interview with Colgan on wednesday if i could qulify for a $16500 loan through sally mae. The reason they said was that Colgan had furloughed SAAB pilots and couldnt afford to train them, so they re looking for 8 pilots who could cough up $16500. If hired( which you will since you paid just like the other passangers) training starts in Deland Florida on the 19th. I decided to keep my money.......

Dude... The RAA is trying to take your money.. We (Colgan Air) are NOT PFT. Not only are we NOT PFT, but we don't train at the RAA academy in Deland, FL.

Last year we hired a couple of their low timers for the Beech 1900. The money they are quoting you is for their own King Air SIC program. To the best of my knowledge, they do not have ANY level C or D sims to train anyone in. We (Colgan Air) use FSI in LGA for ALL Beech 1900 training.

We don't have any furloughed Saab pilots either. We do have a few pilots that asked for and were given leaves of absense rather than spend the month of June TDY or on reserve after their base closed.

RAA

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww RAA runnin the game again....

point and shootttttttttttt,pass the ballllllllllllllllllll>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:confused:

Wow.....

Some scumbags will say ANYTHING, won't they. One of the dudes in my crashpad who was a Captain at Colgan said that right before he left last month they put on a hiring freeze. They just closed a base in Hunington, WV so those pilots are now displaced. So I don't think that anyone is getting hired soon.

Sure a sign of the times isn't it......

--03M

I have never heard that RAA and Colgan were ever tied together. I don't think that is true BUT I have heard that many of the Colgan new hires have come from Eagle Jet Intl. which IS a PFT company...... possibly that is why a "hiring freeze" has been put into effect at Colgan, dunno for sure though but what would be interesting is to see how many of the Eagle Jet PFTrainers were taken on by Colgan after spending "X" amount of dollars for some kind of SIC program.... I think this has been kinda kept "quiet" from within ELI.

3 5 0

Naw.....you're thinking of Tab Express, also in Deland. RAA is run by Mike Youcum....ex-pres of Comair Academy in SFB. Tab has Mitch and Al there plus a couple of instructors...maybe more than that now. They have an agreement with Colgan (at least they did over a year ago) as far as training and interviews is concerned, but no certified courses thru the airline. Same stuff as ATA. :rolleyes:

Naw.....you're thinking of Tab Express

Eagle Jet Intl. also has some sort of agreement with Colgan to PFT somewhere and get the interview at Colgan... I won't dispute the above since I also heard the same holds true for Tab grads...

3 5 0

ps>> anyone know if that one "specific" ground school instructor/F.O is still around at Colgan.??

Long Time Gone said:
Naw.....you're thinking of Tab Express, also in Deland. ..... They have an agreement with Colgan (at least they did over a year ago) as far as training and interviews is concerned, but no certified courses thru the airline......

LTG

TAB wishes they had a thing going with Colgan (or any other airline), but they don't!!!

In the summer of 2001 they got a deal going with American Eagle to interview the grads, but then 9-11 happened. I think TAB had a couple pilots that actually started with Eagle about a week before 9-11, but got sent home. American Eagle hasn't hired since.

TAB has placed about 6 or 7 grads at Colgan - about 4 or 5 a year ago and another 1 or 2 recently (actually, the recent ones may be in a pool). There is no "arrangement" with Colgan. Colgan has been down to visit and likes the operation of the flight school, and I believe the low-time TAB grads they have hired have done well in training/IOE and I guess flying the line. TAB has also placed at least one grad at ACA, and I'm not sure if one went to Great Lakes or not. Anyway, not a real great track record, but not bad considering the industry these days and the fact that TAB has only graduated about 30 or so over the last year.

There is a developing situation at TAB that I'll fill you in on as it developes. TAB is getting an FAR 142 Certification. 141 is an FAA approved flight school and 142 is the part that governs "Training Centers" that generally provide training in large airplanes. Simulator Training Centers for type-rating in Boeings and Airbuses are approved under FAR 142, and then they can usually do training for "any" airline, if they use that airline's procedures, pubs, checklists, etc.

TAB is apparently going to be a "satellite" of Lockheed-Martin/Premair in Orlando. As a "satellite" training center under 142, they will be able to do training for any airline that would want them to. TAB has a couple of Beech 1900 sims, and they could turn out a pilot that was almost completely ready for IOE for any airline that operates that equipment. They would probably only need a final company sim check and maybe some company oriented ground school. The students are all trained in the B-1900 sims anyway, so if some company might want to interview some, TAB could train a class to that airline's procedures.

I don't know how this might develop, but I think it would be that some airline like Colgan might say: "We're getting ready to need 5 new F/O's, so send a class of your students through the B-1900 training using our pubs/checklists and we'll interview them and see if we like any of 'em. If so we might hire a couple".

So, as I see how the thing might work, there will be no gaurantees of a job - maybe only the prospect of getting an interview.

But, what do I know. I'm just a part-time instructor there and am just reporting some of the latest news I've been hearing.

TriDriver Bob

350DRIVER said:
ps>> anyone know if that one "specific" ground school instructor/F.O is still around at Colgan.??

Unfortunately he is still there. They took away his teaching gig real quick and just flying as an FO now. It only took part of a re-current ground school for Colgan to stop his nonsense.

Latest resources

Back