Colgan and Skywest pilots that voted no

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck with that!

Why do we work 40 hour work weeks and two day weekends? Where did that come from..?

I have had good luck with that. The company I work for doesn't have a union.

The FARs keep us plenty safe, along with some common sense and the balls to tell the company no when you have to.

Our upgrades are performance based not seniority based. So I've moved up very quickly. I also make more than alot of regional captains.

Plus I'm home just about every night of the week, and I get weekends and holidays off.

So how's that union thing working out for you?

BTW you'll never get around working the weekend at the airlines, simple fact of life people want to fly on the weekend. If you want a 40 hr a week, weekends off, union job, go tighten lug nuts at Ford.

We have a union, and I dont work weekends.

The FARs keep us plenty safe, along with a little common sense...

One of the dumbest quotes ever posted on FlightInfo.

What percentage of airline accidents do you think have been the result of an FAR violation? A "little" common sense won't take you that far. Safety is the result of a company committed to it which comes before FAR oversight and you entering the aircraft. I hope you're smarter than that quote makes you seem.

Yes, I overlooked that quote by RedGuy. He is home every night because he lives in fantasy land.

One of the dumbest quotes ever posted on FlightInfo.

What percentage of airline accidents do you think have been the result of an FAR violation? A "little" common sense won't take you that far. Safety is the result of a company committed to it which comes before FAR oversight and you entering the aircraft. I hope you're smarter than that quote makes you seem.

I'm sure that alot of accidents are the result of a FAR violation, which is exactly my point. Don't violate the FARs and you'll be safe. I don't see how you figure common sense won't get you far. If somethings not right, don't do it. How much simpler can it get.

You are right that safety is also a result of a company that wants it, but the company has just as much riding on the line to keep it self safe from a economic stand point since passengers don't want to fly on an unsafe airline. I think it has alot less to do with what the union tells them. There's ALOT of companies out there that aren't union and are still very safe. Take for example USA Jet.

BTW I don't live in Fantasy land, it's called 135.

If somethings not right, don't do it. How much simpler can it get.

The second dumbest quote ever posted on flightinfo.

Then:

don't fly fatigued
ground the airplane for every non-deferrable light bulb
dont' go 1 pound of gas under release

and so on . . .

The second dumbest quote ever posted on flightinfo.

Then:

don't fly fatigued
ground the airplane for every non-deferrable light bulb
dont' go 1 pound of gas under release

and so on . . .
these are things you do anyway...right? or do you pick and chose things NOTto fly with based on whats convenient for you at the time? Is that how alpa keeps you safe from the boogie man?

I guess yours is the third dumbest....;)

RedGuy said:
You are right that safety is also a result of a company that wants it, but the company has just as much riding on the line to keep it self safe from a economic stand point since passengers don't want to fly on an unsafe airline. I think it has alot less to do with what the union tells them. There's ALOT of companies out there that aren't union and are still very safe. Take for example USA Jet.

There are two problems with your theory:

1) Yes, the company should have as much of an interest in it as you, but as you know, the $$$ rules. You need someone who works for your side.

2) You equate an company that is safe(no accidents) with a company that is safety-minded. There are many companies who have good safety records and yet would score highly on risk analysis. Many companies succeed in spite of themselves, not because of what they do.

these are things you do anyway...right? or do you pick and chose things NOTto fly with based on whats convenient for you at the time? Is that how alpa keeps you safe from the boogie man?

ALPA won't keep you safe; only you can do that. However, ALPA has had a major hand in creating and promoting many of the major safety advancements in the aviation industry. The Central Air Safety Committee provides a day-to-day oversight that can only be provided in-house. Some companies actually have effective internal auditing, but more often than not, the data will directly from the line.

Latest resources

Back