• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay bottom line is nothing is going to happen. Nobody is making any inquiries to start a union. This was just drunk talk everyone calm down. 78 percent of the Colgan posts involve alcohol that is fact just like this one. We don't have a union and we don't want one either. Colgan rules and that is all I am giong to say especially this close to upgrade.

only one furlough in the company's history (everyone called back quickly), and a paycheck that doesn't have any rubber in it.

Just a little history lesson.

The Colgan family had no desire to call back any of the furloughed pilots after 9/11. Shortly after 9/11, Shuttle America started hiring Saab pilots at a feverish pace, and many of the furloughed Colgan pilots went there.

There's a clause in the contract you signed that says if you're furloughed for more than 30 days, the contract becomes void. As the Colgans' saw a good number of their pilots that they just spent $$$ training go elsewhere, they recalled the rest to avoid having to rehire and retrain. Not many came back, and the ones that did were paid to sit at home for a few months.

Had pilots not been jumping ship soon after the furlough, they would never have called them back as quickly as they did.

Getting a contract is about give and take. There are some places where we could do better but at what cost? What are you willing to give up to get what you want? I've worked at another carrier that was non-union and they pretty much matched what the union carriers were giving, just to keep the union out. Colgan does the same. There's a lot to be said for not having to sit reserve, only one furlough in the company's history (everyone called back quickly), and a paycheck that doesn't have any rubber in it.

Which is a selfish paradox in sorts. You don't want the union, but you recognize that what the unions accomplish nearly directly helps your pay and work conditions. So the time and amount of money I put into the union benefits you with no vice versa. Back to a positive sounding argument for the union, the new ALPA President and Vice President are very much concerned about the affairs of the regionals compared to Duane Worth. This is the beginning of a new era, jump in.

What drives me up a wall is how they change their policies day to day. Sometimes you may receive pay credit for something, sometimes not. Sometimes you have to interview to upgrade, sometimes you don't. The company has too much an ability to make up rules as they go, and policies they do have can be subject to change at any moment. This back and forth stuff needs to be fixed.

THIS is what needs to be fixed. Rules change to fit the needs of Colgan.

I never said anything in my first post about money, rules, out station bases, or any other reason to change the system. Yet these and other reasons have come up. So you see G Dub, some of us do want things to change. If not this direction, then which?

And by the way, though some of these posts may happen after a few beers, I sir, do not drink.

What does ALPA ever due for anyone? Before you responed think.

Lets see, without much deep thought

- they greatly improved the contract at my airline over what the independent union that was in place beforehand
- they help improve the image of the airline pilot through education and dealing with the media
- they have provided medical assistance through their Aeromedical division
- they lobby the FAA and congress helping assure that rest rules are in place, that foreign carriers are not allowed free access to our skies, that the age 60 rule remains, etc., etc., etc.
- they work to improve the safety of airports, aircraft, operations, etc.
- they act as my lawyer in case I do something stupid on the job

Unions just screw people. I for one don't like my janitorial union, they make me clean the urinals with my fingers.

THIS is what needs to be fixed. Rules change to fit the needs of Colgan.

I never said anything in my first post about money, rules, out station bases, or any other reason to change the system. Yet these and other reasons have come up. So you see G Dub, some of us do want things to change. If not this direction, then which?

And by the way, though some of these posts may happen after a few beers, I sir, do not drink.

Don't drink? There are two kinds of men that I don't trust those who don't drink and those who have middle names of cities I bet your middle name is dallas isn't it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back