• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good luck to the group that heads this little adventure. The pilot group needs some sort of change that's for sure. I don't know if ALPA is the best solution, but something's gotta give. I think it would pass in Houston, but they've got everyone spread out in the Northeast for a reason. I guess you could have your meetings at the mall in PIT.

Colgan's got some great people flying there, and I hope things get better for you in the future.

Turtleneck, If you're implying that the group at Colgan is anything like G0jets you're seriously mistaken. Go troll the 200+ "I'm at XJT, and the Kool Aid tastes great!!" threads. :puke:

ALPA/ Unions

Careful what you wish for.

As a Colgan refugee, I can tell you that there are trade offs when you consider a Unionizing carrier. There are some issues at Colgan that need to be addressed like outstation basing and the notorious Colgan Tours of part 91 flying. With the recent growth at Colgan, I'm sure there are new issues I never experienced.I'm sure guys who are there now can speak with more authority than me. You may want to consider an independent association first. The one thing I miss about that place was being able to call someone named Colgan when I needed a favor. Most of the time, I got it. Also there are more than a few senior captains, who I believe are still there who were seriously anti-alpa. Good luck!!

Out of curiousity what is wrong with out-station basing? You knew the bases when you signed up. How can ALPA come in and magically say you must no longer open outstations and close all current out-stations?

Getting a contract is about give and take. There are some places where we could do better but at what cost? What are you willing to give up to get what you want? I've worked at another carrier that was non-union and they pretty much matched what the union carriers were giving, just to keep the union out. Colgan does the same. There's a lot to be said for not having to sit reserve, only one furlough in the company's history (everyone called back quickly), and a paycheck that doesn't have any rubber in it.

Ihave to agree with Mr. Wu,,sort of.
There are a lot of issues with being an Air Carrier,, issues that those in the trenches never see or think about them. Not an easy trip. But, if the Company gets to a certain size level, like Colgan, and, they forget the guys and gals that got them there, might be time to look towards a good union.
Of course, a union is only as good as its members, ON THE LOCAL LEVEL.
Me,,, I was a Teamster when I was young and driving a truck. They seemed to have the right "spirit" it took to get things done. Never have been ALPA, but I have to admit I have not seen a lot of goodness coming out of there lately.
So, Golgan guys and gals,,, be realistic, you know what you signed on for. But if Chuck and the gang forget where they came from, and who got them there,,, let 'er rip!

Hung

All i desire is a firm agreement between employees and the company. I understand the pay is bad and i have to work hard, but i knew that when i signed up. What drives me up a wall is how they change their policies day to day. Sometimes you may receive pay credit for something, sometimes not. Sometimes you have to interview to upgrade, sometimes you don't. The company has too much an ability to make up rules as they go, and policies they do have can be subject to change at any moment. This back and forth stuff needs to be fixed. Even if the company came to the pilot group and worked TOGETHER to make an ACTUAL policy and procedures manual WITHOUT a UNION and to stick to it would work for me. We are expected to keep certain professional standards day in and day out and our pilot group does a great job doing that. All I ask is management do the same. If they can't, then they brought all this big U word stuff upon themselves.

BTW a union wouldn't fix outstation basing.

Last edited:
DON'T CHANGE OUTSTATION BASING! I live in one of the better bases in the company and immensely enjoy my schedule. The only downfall is, it makes you lazy. I've got great contacts at the "big" airlines but I'm dragging my feet because my quality of life will never be this good again. 3 on 4 off, good senoirity and the ability to call up the gal making schedules to get days off when needed, or give you two weeks vacation off of one week requested. Too all the folks below me hopefully your senoirity number will be going up in 6 months or less. Damn you Colganitis!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back