Colgan ALPA Reps and ALPA Staff Meet with Congressman

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

suupah

Colgan Pilot Representatives, ALPA Staff Meet with Ohio Congressman re Issues Brought to Light in NTSB Hearing

Colgan pilots took a step to help address issues in the regional airline sector of concern to ALPA with a visit to Capitol Hill on Wednesday, May 20. MEC Chairman Capt. Mark Segaloff and Government and Legislative Affairs Coordinator First Officer Tom Cassidy accompanied ALPA Government Affairs Director Brendan Kenny and Engineering and Air Safety Director Keith Hagy to a meeting with Rep. John Boccieri (D-Ohio). Rep. Boccieri serves on the Aviation Subcommittee of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.

Last week, Rep. Boccieri sent a letter (click on link below to read) to Colgan management inquiring about the airline’s current policies and practices in response to information that came out the Colgan Flight 3407 NTSB hearing. The Congressman also requested a meeting with the Air Line Pilots Association.

http://boccieri.house.gov/2009/05/b...rs-on-february-plane-crash-near-buffalo.shtml

ALPA representatives and Boccieri, who flies C-130s as a major in the U.S. Air Force Reserve, discussed training and hiring requirements, pay rates, and work rules, both at Colgan as well as throughout the regional sector of the industry. Rep. Boccieri expressed his appreciation for ALPA’s educating him about the broad differences between major and regional airline environments. We look forward to further correspondence with Rep. Boccieri and other members of the House Subcommittee on Aviation in order to promote one level of safety, training, and quality of life among regional airlines and our mainline partners.

Fraternally,

CJC MEC

ALPA national reps were there and will be there for the hearing. I am assuming other MEC's will be involved as well as this thing is turning into an inquiry about the entire regional industry.

They are as good a group as any... Would you prefer MAG?

Better yet, would you prefer dead silence?

Seggy is wearing a rather large albatross in the public's eye right now, and I'm personally relieved that he has a pretty huge landscape of experience to draw from since the ALPA charter at CJC. This isn't an "ALPA = Panacea" cheerleading rant, this is a fact, and a fact I find extremely helpful when all of us in the regionals are under attack for various reasons and from various fronts.

Better yet, would you prefer dead silence?

Seggy is wearing a rather large albatross in the public's eye right now, and I'm personally relieved that he has a pretty huge landscape of experience to draw from since the ALPA charter at CJC. This isn't an "ALPA = Panacea" cheerleading rant, this is a fact, and a fact I find extremely helpful when all of us in the regionals are under attack for various reasons and from various fronts.
Mark is definitely one of the few picks from any regional ALPA MEC that I'd want doing what he's doing. Unfortunate circumstances dictated that he be out on the front lines. He's representing all regionals without bias whether they be ALPA, Teamster, or non union.

Do we really want a new group of Alpa pilots speaking for all the regional pilots?

Why don't you create a grassroots movement at YOUR airline and be a part of the effort?

After all the career you save might be your own...

No offence to the colgan crowd, I was just making the point that if this is a meeting of the minds regarding regionals and our contracts, perhaps having a view point from a more experienced group would be helpfull. To the poster asking if I wanted mesa there, yes, I think that would be great. There are not many in our ranks who have had to put up with the crap the mesa pilots have. That would be an enlighting conversation for a congressman.

Training Issue

I am very disappointed to see this becomimg a political issue over pay and work rules. Both of which absolutely need to be addressed.

I listened to all 3 days of the NTSB hearings. I would encourage anybody interested to listen to Dr. Dismukes testemony on day 3.

This accident was due to poor training, lack of cockpit disipline, and Threat and Error Management (activly monitoring) period.

I am very disappointed to see this becomimg a political issue over pay and work rules. Both of which absolutely need to be addressed.

I listened to all 3 days of the NTSB hearings. I would encourage anybody interested to listen to Dr. Dismukes testemony on day 3.

This accident was due to poor training, lack of cockpit disipline, and Threat and Error Management (activly monitoring) period.

Everything is political......

Latest resources

Back