• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Airlines stall recovery

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rebecca raised the flaps without a request..

Did the FO raising the flaps and thereby killing what lift they had with gear and ice cause this crash?
the transcripts show no call for flaps up... sounds pretty much like she helped this plane crash...

Did the FO raising the flaps and thereby killing what lift they had with gear and ice cause this crash?
the transcripts show no call for flaps up... sounds pretty much like she helped this plane crash...

What she should have done is gone into flight instructor mode. That is, if she had one.

Listen to all you sounding like God's gift to aviation and, from the comfort of your leather seat in front of your PC, crucifying the crew and their actions.

Why don't ya'll STFU until the official and final report comes out, and see what recommendations it puts out? My bet? Changes in stall profiles for all airlines, stall training TO INCLUDE pusher, etc.

Was anything ever determined on the cause of the recent fedex crash?

No, but neither was anything officially released by the NTSB about Colgan, when everybody started to "assume" tail plane icing and an icing over accident, and that turboprops must be unsafe, etc. etc. etc.

Flyer, I am amazed at your refusal to see the obvious and instead rationalize away the fact that this guy - this crew - screwed up in a big, unacceptable way. They stalled the airplane. Stalled it. It matters not that possibly you or I might do the same someday, or something equally stupid. If you or I do, then we would fully deserve the blame for the resulting senseless accident. If I were a betting man, my money would be that this accident will be squarely placed on the shoulders of the crew, in particular the pilot. Contributing factors may very well end up being training, work environment, etc., but they will almost certainly not be be considered causal.

Instead of three boring stall maneuvers in the block during sim, how about one at altitude, one with your eyes closed ( similar to unusual att. recovery).? Along the way, learn some basic airmanship. i.e. stick and rudder skills, instrument scan.

Listen to all you sounding like God's gift to aviation and, from the comfort of your leather seat in front of your PC, crucifying the crew and their actions.

Why don't ya'll STFU until the official and final report comes out, and see what recommendations it puts out? My bet? Changes in stall profiles for all airlines, stall training TO INCLUDE pusher, etc.

Look. No one wanted this accident to happen. And I certainly do not enjoy the fact that it is the current topic of discussion, nor do I think so highly of myself that nothing bad can ever happen. But the fact of the matter is, the OFFICIAL facts have been disclosed. The crew screwed up. And on the FINAL report it will say crew error. Pilot’s failure to maintain adequate airspeed, resulting in an accelerated stall at an altitude too low for recovery. With a list of many other contributing factors. They just got way too behind that airplane and never caught up. I'm sorry that's too sad for you to grasp. You made your bet and now I'm making mine.

Even the uber-professionals feel this way.
"Wally Warner, a Bombardier test pilot who testified Tuesday, said he believes that the pilot could have overcome the stall that caused the crash"
"Obviously, the initial reaction to the stall warning was incorrect, and that set the course of action for what followed", Warner said.

Last edited:
Apparently it is the following procedure:

1) do not add power.
2) pull on the stick pusher as it is trying to push forward.
3) retract flaps.
4) retract gear.

Yes, I feel these guys are being pretty badly hammered in the media. But someone please help me to understand this...

Not on the Saab. What are you getting at here, exactly?

Latest resources

Back