• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan Air crew experience.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think that this accident was based on a lack of experience. I say this because if you are flying in severe ice with an aircraft that uses boots to shed the ice, it is not the same as on an aircraft that has a heated wing. Those boots can't keep up with the build up of ice if it is severe. I have many hours in the King airs, and any time I was in icing conditions, severe or light, I never changed the configuration of the wing, this is something that I feel the crew should have taken into consideration, when you are that low, and picking up severe ice, its better to not change the configuration, land at a faster speed, BUF has a long runway, I doubt that the dash-8 would have used up the whole runway even at 0 flaps. If you do some research, you will find many accidents that happened due to the crew changing the configuration of the wing, were if they just left it alone, they would have made it.

I think the only people who have mentioned "severe" ice is the media.

Bottom line- If your deicing protection system won't shed the ice at a faster rate then its building then common sense tells you that your in 'severe ice'.

Defining 'Severe ice' will include the type of plane you fly.

Comair has hundreds of guys with 10,000 hrs+ and some with 20,000.

I'm sure the same can be said for ASA, SKYW, PDT, Mesaba, Air Wis, XJET, and others...

I would bet there is a big difference in average experience between these carriers and places like Colgan, Mesa, or Pinnacle.

Good idea. Lets hire 10,000 hr guys at all the regionals!
I would say low time guys went to all above mentioned airlines not just the 3 you mentioned at the bottom.

I would say low time guys went to all above mentioned airlines not just the 3 you mentioned at the bottom.

True but theres a big difference between a 300 hour new F/O flying with a 15000 hour capt, and a 300 hour new F/O flying with a 3000 hour capt.

I am still trying to find one weather related accident that did not get stamped with pilot error all over it regardless of following the rules and regulations. I wonder if common sense is on any checklist??? FLY SAFELY!

There are some micro-burst accidents that weren't pilot error. This is obviously before we knew what micro-burst were, and before the low-level windshear alert systems were in place.

Yes but some have rules in place however for upgrading.

I believe here at Piedmont you have to have 3000hrs to upgrade. So if you were hired with 500hrs you'll have some pretty good experience in the plane before you upgrade.

belchfire,

actually I work at Pace. know alot of guys at the tranny from CC Air.

a regions former chief pilot is over here. JS

know him?

True but theres a big difference between a 300 hour new F/O flying with a 15000 hour capt, and a 300 hour new F/O flying with a 3000 hour capt.

For some regionals:

15000 Hour Regional Captain = Personality Disorder (tin-foil hat, talks to aliens, etc.) :D

Of course this excludes the senior guys at some of the better regionals.

I know that Colgan is now owned by Pinicle, but the news said it's still based in Manasas VA, are the Colgan's (mikey and family) still running the opps?

Latest resources

Back