Colgan Air-Commuting

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PJaxPilot

Is there any way someone can please tell me if it is possible to commute from cmh to many of the colgan bases? If unable to give me a clear answer, how about an average schedule? Ya know, 4 on 3 off, 5 on 3 off or something like that.

Colgan

Typical schedules range from 5 on 2 off to 4 on 4 off, depending on base. At my base 4 on 4 off is the norm with an occasional 4 on 3 off or 3 on 4 off. At the bases I'm familiar with there is a morning shift from 5 or 6 until 2ish and an evening shift from 2 until 11 or so. (7-11 hour duty days on average) I'm not sure what the commute from CMH would be like, I know that the JST crews fly there from PIT. Your best base bets would probably be BUF, ROC, and CRW (Larger airports with more flight options). At any rate, you'll need a crash pad where ever you go if you commute, because Colgan puts you back in base every night (unless you're based at IAH). Good luck.

thanks I do appreciate the sincere reply. I've got an interview on Saturday so we'll see what they have to say. Currently, I fly turboprops but I have no where the hours to go to a jet commuter. In addition, I fly quite irregularly with maybe 3 months of straight flying and then another 3 of working A&P and no flying whatsoever. Any suggestions?

Just present yourself as a professional and be honest about all the flying you've done. They want someone who can handle the slightly quicker upgrade and who wants to work for Colgan.

I dont think its a good idea if I tell them "hey, just so ya know there is no way I'm gonna move b/c my wife makes too good of money at her job." Now, I wouldn't mind flying outta DCA or IAH where the commute wouldn't be all that bad.

As far as being able to handle PIC quickly, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Part of the reason I want to leave my current job is because I will never see captain. (we only have 6 aircraft) Not to mention, no medical, dental, 401, or really any benifits at all whatsoever. (Legitimate gripe)

In my opinion, Colgan seems like a decent place to work. Quick upgrade, 2 crew environment and turboprops. I'm used to flying 2 crew and I work for a 121 operation.

It sounds like you'll be fine. Houston currently takes some time to hold, but I would think any of the bases I listed would make for an alright commute and are attainable out of training. So far as Colgan goes, it's not a bad place to be. FO pay is terrible, but it's like that everywhere. The schedules are pretty good and if you happen to live in base it can't be beat.

IAH, sounds really attractive to us because we did some research into the cost of living, houses and comparable pay. It's about 15% cheaper to live than here in CMH. You would be shocked to see how much 150,000 gets you in a house. Anyways, thanks of the honest posts. If I have any more questions, is it OK to PM you?

Wow, that's a quick upgrade! Why does everyone quit? If I could make Captain and be home everynight I would never leave. To bad CMH is my home.

Latest resources

Back