• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Colgan 3407 Findings

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No longer an airline guy, and wasn't very senior when I was. I know about fatigue issues, and I never said it couldn't happen to me. I believe you missed my point.

I'm sorry, I miss read your post. It back fired on me, seeing how I was trying to be funny, but the joke is on me.
Sorry again. I typed that during a rough time in my life, someone had pointed out to me that I will no longer be a professional pilot, as long as I am not an ALPA pilot. It was quite the blow to my ego, but then I learned that since I still get the ALPA magazine even though I am not paying dues, I am a semi-professional pilot. Only because I am able to read about the ALPA wisdom every month.
Now I love myself again, and if I can love me, I can love others as well.
I am sorry for my previous behaviors. I will be a better man and behave like a semi professional pilots for the remainder of my time.

Bless you all!

I don't think the FAA "skated":

39. The current Federal Aviation Administration surveillance standards for oversight at air carriers undergoing rapid growth and increased complexity of operations do not guarantee that any challenges encountered by the carriers as a result of these changes will be appropriately mitigated.

41. The viability of flight operational quality assurance programs depends on the confidentiality of the data, which would currently not be guaranteed if operators were required to implement these programs and required to share the data with the Federal Aviation Administration.

Granted, the FAA didn't carry the burden of responsibility in the NTSB's final report (the Captain did), but how much should the FAA bear in this accident?

The POI at Colgan allowed Colgan's absolutely shodden recordkeeping, training and manual drafting (or, more properly, lack thereof) to occur.

The POI allowed Colgan to integrate a 76 seat, glass cockpit aircraft into a fleet without ANY experience with FMS, Glass or an aircraft of this size.

He allowed this integration to occur without a concrete plan for crewing, training or operating this aircraft.

The POI didn't kill the people in Buffalo, but in my opinion, he handed the company and crew a loaded gun.

Edited: for clarity.

Last edited:
The POI didn't kill the people in Buffalo, but in my opinion, he handed the company and crew a loaded gun.

Edited: for clarity.

I disagree completely. The current seniority system we've burdened ourselves with lends itself to keeping individuals who have no business flying airplanes, flying airplanes. The POI can be blamed but it was the guy in the left seat that PULLED BACK ON THE YOKE when training dictates (from day one as a private pilot) lowering the nose and fire walling the thrust levers.

I disagree completely. The current seniority system we've burdened ourselves with lends itself to keeping individuals who have no business flying airplanes, flying airplanes. The POI can be blamed but it was the guy in the left seat that PULLED BACK ON THE YOKE when training dictates (from day one as a private pilot) lowering the nose and fire walling the thrust levers.

BINGO....WE created a two tiered "master/apprentice" system with the lowest experienced pilots flying in the toughest conditions....Brilliant idea..

The POI allowed Colgan to integrate a 76 seat, glass cockpit aircraft into a fleet without ANY experience with FMS, Glass or an aircraft of this size.

SF-340 Cockpit has 5-tubes o fun.

In the final analysis, Colgan Air albeit Pinnacle Air Holdings failed in their corporate duty to deliver a safe, reliable and well-trained crew into the cockpit of the airplane. Not that there isn't pilots (the vast majority) that meet that criteria. However, the "Q" was rushed into service without using the best resources available. PNCL could have and should have went out and "headhunted" some "Q-400" subject matter experts and really front-loaded the program with approved manuals, state-of-the-art training aids/methods. Quite simply, they did it on the cheap. And, as terrible as I honestly feel to say this. The flying public got exactly what they paid for.

In the final analysis, Colgan Air albeit Pinnacle Air Holdings failed in their corporate duty to deliver a safe, reliable and well-trained crew into the cockpit of the airplane. Not that there isn't pilots (the vast majority) that meet that criteria. However, the "Q" was rushed into service without using the best resources available. PNCL could have and should have went out and "headhunted" some "Q-400" subject matter experts and really front-loaded the program with approved manuals, state-of-the-art training aids/methods. Quite simply, they did it on the cheap. And, as terrible as I honestly feel to say this. The flying public got exactly what they paid for.

Stop it right there, we will have none of this here.
We want rumors and facts passed down from senior training instructors, how Mesa Sucks and it also has to contain one item praising the work of ALPA.

Counter point: the corporate fiduciary duty was to the shareholders of the company. I'm sure there are boldy printed mission statements, objectives, principles, and appropriate "go-team" corporate buzz words. What the management team of Colgan, Pinnacle, and Continental are ultimately graded on, however, is the bottom line of the financial statments for the time that they were in the corner offices.

I agree with you: the flying public got what they paid for.

Somewhere, there needs to be a better balance between the fiduciary needs of the people running the airline and the people who are customers and stakeholders of that airline.

Almost forgot: Mesa sucks, my first born child will be named 'ALPA', and I heard that DALPA was going to cave up to 100 seaters. There, more credible now?

Latest resources

Back