• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cockpit reading

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
how many fadecs do you need for dispatch?

Each engine has 2 fadecs for a (total of 4) and all must be operational. Either fadec is capable of controlling the engine independently, although only one fadec, A or B, is actually in charge of engine fuel control at any given time. The one that's not controlling i.e. standby is a hot spare should the controlling fadec fail.

Anything else?

Each engine has 2 fadecs for a (total of 4) and all must be operational. Either fadec is capable of controlling the engine independently, although only one fadec, A or B, is actually in charge of engine fuel control at any given time. The one that's not controlling i.e. standby is a hot spare should the controlling fadec fail.

Anything else?

Yeah, does it make you crabby when you're at the beach and you get sand in your vagina?

question for SNAFU,
When you are up wandering around the cabin is the other pilot on O2, also please try to explain how reading a USA today in cruise flight at 410 under positive control is any more unprofessional or un-safe than wondering around in the back making yourself a snack.

Assuming worse case scenario, if something happens the guy reading the paper puts it down and flies, while you would have to sprint to the front, strap in and try to figure out what is going on since you have been out of the "loop" with your situational awareness.

Not trying to throw stones just trying to follow your logic. It is unprofessional to read while sitting straped in at the controls monitoring ACT, but stretching your legs in the back to occupy your mind is OK?

Last edited:
question for SNAFU,
When you are up wandering around the cabin is the other pilot on O2, also please try to explain how reading a USA today in cruise flight at 410 under positive control is any more unprofessional or un-safe than wondering around in the back making yourself a snack.

Assuming worse case scenario, if something happens the guy reading the paper puts it down and flies, while you would have to sprint to the front, strap in and try to figure out what is going on since you have been out of the "loop" with your situational awareness.

Not trying to throw stones just trying to follow your logic. It is unprofessional to read while sitting straped in at the controls monitoring ACT, but stretching your legs in the back to occupy your mind is OK?

OH SNAP.

Snafuu,

After re-reading my post it might have come across as sarcastic or mean. None is or was intended.

I am curious about the logic of your previous post. I am one that believes it is OK to read or do other things while monitoring my aircraft, I am a professional who can discern between a safe time to read the paper and when I need to shoot a minimums approach.

As for the boss, it is his plane I guess you must do what he wants. If that is the case has any pilot manager talked with him about this. I am sure if the situation was explained in a way that emphasized safety and being alert he/she would understand. If not just ask him/her if they could sit behind their large desk, buckled into their Corinthian leather chair for 5+ hours without falling asleep.:laugh:

How about the captain who, while on an empty leg, vacates his seat and goes back to watch a movie or sleep? That used to happen in our operation quite frequently. This guy was a real piece o' work.

How about the captain who, while on an empty leg, vacates his seat and goes back to watch a movie or sleep? That used to happen in our operation quite frequently. This guy was a real piece o' work.

And where's the problem??

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back