• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cockpit Napping Policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Our SOPs dont say anything about it, but our CP officially says its not only OK, but smart to take a nap. Just make sure the other guy is on the same page and wont be falling asleep too. Sucks getting woken up by SELCAL at 25 west and its Shanwick wondering were you are.

The USCG had a policy on "strategic napping" in their air ops manual. If you can get hold of an active duty pilot, they can probably send you the section. Not sure if it is available via the net...

MT

We used to sleep in the cockpit all the time flying heavies in the USAF. I don't think it is a big deal, but it is not really allowed in my current flight department. We have passengers coming up front all the time and it would not look good taking a snooze when the CEO decides to visit.

Seems like most people here are pretty much on the same page when it comes to cockpit napping...One pilot at a time; in cruse; don't overfly your airport by 150 miles; don't make up some lame BS story when you do...you know, things like that.

"sorry center my headset came unplugged, just thought it was a quite day...totally not my fault."

Seems like most people here are pretty much on the same page when it comes to cockpit napping...One pilot at a time; in cruse; don't overfly your airport by 150 miles; don't make up some lame BS story when you do...you know, things like that.

True but having worked at NWA for 30 years and knowing whats going on now a heated argument would not be very unusual ...it will come out for sure in the next few days.

Our SOPs dont say anything about it, but our CP officially says its not only OK, but smart to take a nap. Just make sure the other guy is on the same page and wont be falling asleep too. Sucks getting woken up by SELCAL at 25 west and its Shanwick wondering were you are.

And there's the problem...RIGHT THERE.

A person falls asleep most of the time when they don't mean to. If pilot #1 is sleeping and the other guy "dozes off".....there ya go, possible accident/incident/embarrassment.

Its nut to allow people to go to sleep in the cockpit because you think you'll just stay awake...for sure!!!!!

People who fall asleep while driving don't think they'll fall asleep either...........they did not "intend" to fall asleep. And people die every year because they do fall asleep on our roads.

Last edited:

A person falls asleep most of the time when they don't mean to. If pilot #1 is sleeping and the other guy "dozes off".....there ya go, possible accident/incident/embarrassment.

Its nut to allow people to go to sleep in the cockpit because you think you'll just stay awake...for sure!!!!!

People who fall asleep while driving don't think they'll fall asleep either...........they did not "intend" to fall asleep.

You confuse me. On the one hand you say that it's crazy to let anyone sleep in the cockpit, yet on the other hand you say that people uncontrollably fall asleep all the time. :confused:

If people are going to inevitably sleep in the cockpit (which I agree is true) why would you not want to try to control the situation by deriving a system that will allow one another a X minute nap in a controlled environment that would help reduce the risks that you stated above. Wouldn't that be better than just leaving it all up to chance?

And people die every year because they do fall asleep on our roads.

Not even close to being the same thing!

People who fall asleep while driving don't think they'll fall asleep either...........they did not "intend" to fall asleep. And people die every year because they do fall asleep on our roads.

For this reason, I have heard of letting the F/A know one guy is napping. She/He should check in on the cockpit every 15-30 mins to avoid both sleeping.

The F/A also lets the cockpit know when she wants to nap.

Common sense stuff....IMO not a good idea for naps in 2 pilot planes w no FA.

Latest resources

Back