Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cockpit jumpseat award - Date of Hire or Seniority List Number?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Living in base takes ALL the stress out of it.

DOH up to 30 minutes prior.

Jetblue policy is...

Jumpseat, seniority

Cabin seat/non-rev, first come/first serve.

It should be reversed, here's why:

All employees can ride in the cabin and they should all be based on date of hire. There is something to be said for longevity and anyone who is more senior to me should be afforded the chance to ride based on the fact that they have been around longer than me. Whatever they do with the company; the longer you stick around the better benefits you enjoy.

As for the cockpit, a "window of opportunity" (read, like airways/fedex) should give in-house pilots the chance to book a flight to/from home. Some rely on very few flights to get where they need to go and it can be very competitive. That being said, there is piece-of-mind in knowing that you have a ride and cannot be bumped by someone who shows up at the last minute and tries to exercise his seniority (no, it hasn't happened to me). It does take care of that awkward last minute "what's your date-of-hire" q&a that occasionally happens as the station agent is trying to close the cabin door.

Will jB ever change these...probably never.

That's 'cause in the event JB ever gets a CBA, the PILOTS will decide. I guarantee FCFS will be on the to do list.

Spirit is first to list gets the jumpseat or first come, first serve if no one is listed. You can list at Spirit up to 72 hours prior.

Listing a week in advance is good, but it completely negates seniority, so if a senior guy is out flying when the window opens, a new hire could get the seat. Not sure that such a great concept, of course views will differ based on seniority :)

This is about to be an issue at UAL. CO, due to there previous mergers, has always done it by seniority. At UAL we have always done it by DOH even with respect to our Pan Am guys after the Pacific purchase.

You ride in the back based on DOH I think it should be the same up front. This coming from a guy that would do better with our recent SLI if it was based on seniority.

This will be just another example of a clash of culture between UAL and CO. In the end I am sure it will be worked out.

UAL actually does it by seniority, not DOH. It looks like DOH because UAL hasn't had a merger is almost living memory. Put it this way, with two guys from the same newhire class (DOH) are in line for the j/s, who gets it? The senior one. This move by the UAL MEC to look into changing the policy is nothing more than trying to circumvent seniority for the former UAL guys who are junior to CAL pilots that have more recent DOHs.

Listing a week in advance is good, but it completely negates seniority, so if a senior guy is out flying when the window opens, a new hire could get the seat. Not sure that such a great concept, of course views will differ based on seniority :)

Don't leave out the senior UAL pilot who likes to show up 10 minutes to push , and bumps one of his brothers out of the seat. There are more than a few that do this all the time . Now add salt to injury . The said pilots are over 60.

UAL actually does it by seniority, not DOH. It looks like DOH because UAL hasn't had a merger is almost living memory. Put it this way, with two guys from the same newhire class (DOH) are in line for the j/s, who gets it? The senior one. This move by the UAL MEC to look into changing the policy is nothing more than trying to circumvent seniority for the former UAL guys who are junior to CAL pilots that have more recent DOHs.

Your example of two guys hired in the same class is correct. Under no circumstances will a guy with an earlier DOH be bumped by a pilot with a later DOH. CO does not have this policy I suspect because their seniority list was not in DOH order due to previous mergers.

As I said 2 different cultures....the policy will be worked out....I prefer DOH...again this coming from someone that would be more "senior" using the CO seniority system.

Stop trying to bring drama to a rather mundane topic.

Latest resources

Back