Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cockpit jumpseat award - Date of Hire or Seniority List Number?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palomino

How does your airline award the jumpseat?

Date of Hire?

or

Pilot Seniority List position?

example:
seniority list position
1) 1999 hire
2) 2007 hire
3) 1999 hire

2 cockpit jumpseats available;
who gets the seats?

Also, if you work for a recently merged carrier with an integrated seniority list would you advocate seperate integrated (odd meshing of terms?) pilot priority lists for seperate integrated (there it is again!) metal?

**Please state facts of your airline's jumpseat policy and not opinions.**

This is about to be an issue at UAL. CO, due to there previous mergers, has always done it by seniority. At UAL we have always done it by DOH even with respect to our Pan Am guys after the Pacific purchase.

You ride in the back based on DOH I think it should be the same up front. This coming from a guy that would do better with our recent SLI if it was based on seniority.

This will be just another example of a clash of culture between UAL and CO. In the end I am sure it will be worked out.

At US Airways we list on the phone 7 days out and it's yours - most aircraft have 2 jumpseats. It tells you on the voice response phone sytem if you're "primary" or "alternate" for one of the 2 jumpseats. Or you can list first come first served at the gate for one of the 2 jumpseats. It shows up as JS (I think) on the non-rev list. 95% of the gate agents just give you one of the first class seats or exit rows when available. You can always ride in the cockpit if you prefer a quick exit even with open seats in the back. All cockpits can hold all 4 pilot roller bags (we don't have flight kits) so that's never a concern when commuting. We have an unlimited js policy so as many pilots jumpseating (OAL included) as there are open seats can ride. We can't sit on a flight attendant jumpseat for some strange reason. One great thing for commuters allows a working pilot who commutes to elect to fly to their home airport (or just get off the plane and stay if they live there) if a jumpseater shows and can fly your leg for you when they commute to work if the jumpseater calls "systems cs" to check their legalities. If a first or last leg of a trip is a deadhead, we can call cs to inform them we will not duty-in in base and will call when we arrive at the outstation airport. The deadheads in our schedules are only listed for pay purposes so they don't care. This all works well and creates zero stress (well, some always stress) getting to and from work for commuters.

Last edited:
At US Airways we list on the phone 7 days out and it's yours - most aircraft have 2 jumpseats. It tells you on the voice response phone sytem if you're "primary" or "alternate" for one of the 2 jumpseats. Or you can list first come first served at the gate for one of the 2 jumpseats. It shows up as JS on the non-rev list. 95% of the gate agents just give you one of the first class seats or exit rows when available. You can always ride in the cockpit if you prefer a quick exit. All cockpits can hold all 4 pilot roller bags (we don't have flight kits) so that's never a concern when commuting. Works well and creates zero worries getting to and from work for all commuters.

This ^^^ is the best system IMO-
Believe FedEx works the same way

Ours is first come as well at SWA -

Nothing like petty seniority arguments 15 minutes before departure...

I like 1st come 1st serve like we have at Delta. Once it's booked it's yours and no one can take it away from you.

Strict seniority at AA unless it's 20mins prior to departure, at that point it's first come first serve.

Non revs in the back, however, are done strictly by first come first serve. Cant list until 24hrs prior to departure, at which point it becomes a race on the computer to list. .

Unfortunately, it's the same with deadheading: first come first serve. We still have to list for upgrade 24hrs in advance.... Which explains why, on an intl DH, you can have 9 F/As in First and the pilots in coach.

That will hopefully change with the merger. In fact our MOU states all intl DHing will be in Biz for the pilots.

FYi I like aspects of both j/s systems - seniority and fist come first serve. Haven't decided which I like better yet.

FYi I like aspects of both j/s systems - seniority and fist come first serve. Haven't decided which I like better yet.

Reserving the jumpseat takes a lot of stress out of commuting, unless you're the number 1 guy in the company -- then you don't have any stress anyways...

Latest resources

Back