Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cockpit Camera's. What you don't know...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
At our company we've had to negotiate language that protects our CVR/FDR data. Just like your company email, the company owns CVR/FDR data until an NTSB defined event occurs. Only then does the company have to surrender the data to the gov't.

Here is the problem at my company and yours.....

If the company hears about a flight....any flight, did you know they can remove THIER CVR/FDR data anytime they want to analyze and judge what you've said or did... They can use that data against you. Just like your company email.....

Cockpit camera's...... A place to hang my hat!!

This is one reason why SWA, jB, Airtran, and other non ALPA pilots should contribute to ALPA-PAC. It's not the politican.....it is the issue!! and the issue is big brother's web cam over your shoulder!

Here is ALPA's statement on Cockpit Cams... (see bold)

ALPA Opposes Video Imaging in Cockpit

WASHINGTON, D.C.---Calling proposals to install video cameras in the cockpits of commercial airliners the "fool’s gold" of accident investigation, representatives of the Air Line Pilots Association today told officials at an NTSB hearing that pilots are universally opposed to the idea.

"ALPA is strongly opposed to cockpit imaging recorders because the benefits of video imaging are vastly overrated, and because far more effective and efficient tools exist that will not only obtain the safety data necessary to accurately investigate an accident, but also help to prevent future accidents," said Capt. Paul Rice, ALPA’s vice president of administration.

"The imagery information gathered from cockpit image recorders is subjective, not objective, and is unlikely to provide the detailed data that proponents promise or that is vital to any accurate air carrier accident investigation. On the other hand, data from sources such as the digital flight data recorder is unambiguous and not subject to analytical shortcomings associated with video. The NTSB has already recommended expanding the amount of information gathered by the digital flight data recorder, and we fully agree. Expanded DFDR data will be far more effective than adding video," Rice said.

"The Commercial Aviation Safety Team, an industry and government group convened to analyze accidents and rank the critical actions that would enhance commercial aviation safety, didn’t include cockpit video anywhere on its list. Nor are we aware of any strong desire by the FAA for cockpit cameras," Rice said.

"History has shown that in the current environment it is impossible to safeguard the privacy of cockpit voice recorders, much less cockpit image recorders. When cockpit voice recorders were originally installed, it was done with clear expectations about pilot privacy. Those expectations have not been met, even with the strong legislative protections enacted in later years. Note the Cali, Colombia accident as a shameful example of how these recordings can find their way into the news media. Given the significant technological concerns that exist, ALPA does not believe that the costs and pilot privacy issues are outweighed by any purported benefits," Rice said.

ALPA, the world’s oldest and largest pilot union, represents 64,000 airline pilots at 42 airlines in the U.S. and Canada. Its website is at www.alpa.org.

Exactly

Rez O. Lewshun said:
"History has shown that in the current environment it is impossible to safeguard the privacy of cockpit voice recorders, much less cockpit image recorders. When cockpit voice recorders were originally installed, it was done with clear expectations about pilot privacy. Those expectations have not been met, even with the strong legislative protections enacted in later years. Note the Cali, Colombia accident as a shameful example of how these recordings can find their way into the news media. Given the significant technological concerns that exist, ALPA does not believe that the costs and pilot privacy issues are outweighed by any purported benefits," Rice said.[/size][/font]

This is exactly how I feel.

Especially now that reality TV--with the emphasis on "shocking"--is all the rage, all the more reason to keep camera's out of the cockpit.

Not only that, but how many training videos have we personally watched in groundschool that feature the actual cockpit conversation. How easy would it be to get that in the hands of the media, let alone a cockpit video used ostensibly for "training".

If they want to install cameras in the cabin or the exterior of the aircraft I would accept that, but right now, CVR and FDR technology is advanced enough to adequately investigate an accident. They don't need the video.

Except, I admit, it would have helped the case in that Egyptian crash where all of CVR and FDR data point to a deliberate act but all they were missing was video.

Oh well, that's still not a good enough reason for me.

I'd vote to keep camera's out of the cockpit.

mar said:
How easy would it be to get that in the hands of the media, let alone a cockpit video used ostensibly for "training".
It's already out there. There are plenty of sites where you can download CVR audio files. No way do I want cockpit crash video on the net and news.

Every move of the aircraft is recorded by the FDR and everything we say is recorded by the CVR..................Why the HE!! do they need to watch us on TV!!! It really can't be that exciting watching us twiddle our thumbs at 35,000 feet with the autopilot on.

The trial lawyers association probably has a big hand in this. They pushed long and hard and managed to get video recorders into hospital emergency and delivery rooms to facilitate the ease of assigning blame if there is any hiccup in a medical procedure. I can just see one of these sharks going all the way to the supreme court to force the release of a cockpit video to support their suit against an airline or flight crew.:mad: :mad:

It's ok to vent, but you guys will get used to it in time.

Given my limited time in 152s...maybe I'm not understanding this but...

...if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, why does it matter?

again...if I'm not getting it, please esplain...

-mini

minitour said:
Given my limited time in 152s...maybe I'm not understanding this but...

...if you're doing what you're supposed to be doing, why does it matter?

again...if I'm not getting it, please esplain...

-mini
I think what the one guy was saying was, that if he did something negligent that resulted in personal injury, property damage or death, he wouldn't want a lawyer using the video tape as evidence to hang him in a civil trial.

I think it would be great to have a camera in the cockpit...I'm always looking for a place to hang my hat anyway, why not hang it on the camera?

All the scrutiny 121 pilots go though is tough but hey , at least we're not apollo astronauts, rectal thermometers--OUCH

But seriously, couldn't they find a better safety improvement? Possibly more advanced flight data recoders or more sensitive ones?

Latest resources

Back