Coast Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AviatrixMorgan said:
I don't know if I should start another thread since I have a question or not so I figured I'd tack it on here first.

My boyfriend is in the process of getting into the CG OCS (hopefully for the June class....he first applied for the Jan class and was alternate #17, which from what we understand is great for your first try).

Anyways, I've heard different things on prior flight time before entering. He's obviously trying for a pilot slot. Graduated from ERAU with an Aero Sci degree and is now a CFI. Some people have said the military doesn't like to give pilot slots to people who have time as civilians. I was wondering if this is true and any other input would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Prior civilian flight time is only a negative if it's accompanied by an "attitude". Most folks benefit from having it, bought I've had a few that thought they already knew it all and they quickly developed a bad rep with the instructors.

80drvr said:
Prior civilian flight time is only a negative if it's accompanied by an "attitude". Most folks benefit from having it, bought I've had a few that thought they already knew it all and they quickly developed a bad rep with the instructors.

Thanks...I'll pass that along to him. I had just heard before it was frowned upon since you often learn little habbits and do things a certain way and they military likes to train you from scratch basically.

Morgan: The prior flight time and attitute that 80drvr is referring to is (I hope I'm not speaking out of place for 80) is for students in flight training. Having prior flight experience is a definite plus for those who are applying to attend flight training in the CG. Its not a lock, but it is certainly a plus. Once your boyfriend gets to OCS and assuming his PERFORMANCE and attitude are good, he will stand a very good chance of getting a flight training slot sometime after graduation. There are no guaranteed slots and the competition is getting tougher (from what I hear), but the prior flight experience will definitely not hurt his chances at getting a slot, it will help him.

One thing that was drummed into me from the very beginning of my career was that your performance at your current and past jobs (as reflected in your OERs) is the key to getting whatever assignment, training or duty you are applying for. Now I'm not sure that the OER is the best way to document one's performance, but that is a whole other topic. So one must buckle down and perform their best at whatever assignment they get until they are able to apply for the job or training that they really want. You have to play the game sometimes. I think that is what 80drvr was referring to and if so he is right on the money in my opinion.

When I was on the ship right out of the Academy I had to work hard for my bosses (shipdrivers, who abhor pilots) and project the image that I wanted to be the best ship driver they had ever seen. I never mentioned flight school until I reached the one year mark and was eligible to apply, and then I turned in my application. The command was disappointed because they thought that I should have stayed afloat, but because I had performed well during that year they gave me a favorable recommendation, as much as that may have pained them. Had I continually talked about flight training and not performed my current duties adequately (perhaps only barely?) they would never have given me a good endorsement and I would likely have never been accepted to flight school.

Just some food for thought.

Good luck to your boyfriend, I hope he gets into the next class.

FJ

I've been flying C130s for the past 7 years for the Coast Guard; H60s and H3s for the 14 years before that. It's a great career move, if you can get flight school. It's all timing; right place at the right time. If you don't get flight school right out of OCS (they usually have at least a couple of slots - best to have your private license to be competative), they will send you to a desk job for a couple years. Then you can apply for flt school; they usually hold 2 boards a year. It may take a few times of applying, but if you are persistent, you'll get in eventually. If you are thinking of going military, the CG is the way to go. I'm stationed in Kodiak, Alaska and am getting 500+ hrs a year. The flying here is the greatest. Most CG duty stations are in really good locations (I've been stationed in Florida, Hawaii, Oregon; always by the ocean). As you get more senior, you can branch out from aviation; go to grad school on the CG's dime (getting paid while in school); lots of opportunities. 21 years and no complaints here!

USCG-Kodiak said:
best to have your private license to be competative

Hey thats great b/c he has private, instrument, multi, commerical, and CFI!

Kodiak is one of our top spots for his "dream sheet" too!

AviatrixMorgan said:
Hey thats great b/c he has private, instrument, multi, commerical, and CFI!

Kodiak is one of our top spots for his "dream sheet" too!
He should be quite competative for a flt shool slot then. Best of luck to you. Let me know if you have any questions about the CG, Kodiak, etc.

A point about Alaska. The CG won't typically send a first tour aviator to Alaska, unless they have flown for another service (a Direct Commision Aviator (DCA) or interservice transfer) before coming over to the CG. Otherwise, expect a first tour INCONUS followed most likely by a tour in AK, PR, or the ship helo branch at ATC Mobile for the second tour. Brand new military aviators won't likely go to AK for their first tour because the flying there is probably the most demanding in the CG and you wan't more experienced pilots there.

USCG-K: Say hi to MB your XO for me. Any news that you can share about the helo that went down a few months ago? I haven't heard much info since the accident.

FJ

Last edited:
I have to add a caviat to Kodiak. If you fly HH-65s you will not go to Kodiak on your first tour. You must be an aircraft commander. However, if you fly H-60s you have just as likely of a chance going there as you do anywhere else. I also believe the same holds true for C-130s up there but I don't know that one for sure but I am sure someone on here does.

The point is, there are just so many variables that you cannot even start to imagine where you will be stationed and how your career will turn out. It is just a wild ride, hang on and enjoy it. I know pilots that have never left the continental US, and I know pilots who have only been in the continental US for four years of their entire career.

To give you an overview on where you may be stationed overseas in a career. Some of these listed are considered undesireable tours and for those Coasties who have been out for a while Polar OPS is not on there for a reason. With the exception of Kodiak's Alaskan Patrol (ALPAT) which is only for HH-65s you could be stationed at any of these locations at any point in your career including your first one depending on what airframe you fly. Puerto Rico, Hawaii, Alaska, HITRON (Jacksonville, FL), and some exchange tours with other countries are all possibilities throughout ones career.

No matter what stations your are eventually stationed at, they are all what you make of them and even the worst duty station is in a tourist location. People pay to come visit the places we live and we get a birds eye view of some of the most beautiful places in this country.

So good luck in getting in and good luck in the future.

Falconjet, when you wrote ship helo branch, did you mean Polar Operations? Ship helo only has four pilot slots and isn't a likely second tour.

sardaddy: Yes, you are correct, I meant Polar Ops. Ship Helo is the instructors who certify the ship crews for helo ops and they are all at least second tour pilots I think.

Thanks for the clarification and additional info.

I don't know of any first tour CG pilots who went to Kodiak or Sitka, helo or Hercs, but there's a lot of things that I don't know!

FJ

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back