• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jumppilot

Something in a box
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070121/ap_on_re_us/pilot_dies

Pilot dies in-flight; co-pilot lands jet
2 hours, 36 minutes ago

The pilot of a Continental Airlines flight became ill after takeoff and was later pronounced dead after the plane made an emergency landing Saturday, a company spokeswoman said.

The 210 passengers on the flight, which departed from Houston, were never in danger and the co-pilot landed the plane safely, Continental spokeswoman Macky Osorio said.

The airline said only that the pilot suffered a "serious medical problem." Continental believes the pilot died of natural causes, Osorio said. The pilot's name was not released.

The flight, bound for Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, took off from Houston's George Bush Intercontinental Airport and was diverted to McAllen-Miller International Airport. The flight continued to Mexico with a new crew, Osorio said.

That'll help to change the "Age 60 Rule" :rolleyes: Condolences to his family and all, but each time one of us dies in flight, or has a heart attack in the jetway right after arriving, it makes that look like a worse and worse idea to the public.

That'll help to change the "Age 60 Rule" :rolleyes: Condolences to his family and all, but each time one of us dies in flight, or has a heart attack in the jetway right after arriving, it makes that look like a worse and worse idea to the public.

First, condolences to this pilot's family. Just to play "devil's advocate" here regarding your comment about age 60, but perhaps the opposite might happen to public opinion because the system worked to end the flight safely. I don't know the answer but just curious.

First, condolences to this pilot's family. Just to play "devil's advocate" here regarding your comment about age 60, but perhaps the opposite might happen to public opinion because the system worked to end the flight safely. I don't know the answer but just curious.
That's a bit like saying, the drunks are the ones with the fewest injuries in a car crash, so....I guess we should just all drive drunk.

-Blucher

What if he were 58? Should we roll da age back ta 57? 60 or 65? I says 65 wif da same restrictions as Europe be dun has...... dats why day got two in duh cockpits.... Bouyyyyyyy....

And if the guy was 42?

See, the thing is it doesn't matter what the guy's age was. The public's perception is that "a guy died while flying an airplane! Why allow an increase in the chance of this happening by allowing older pilots to continue flying?"

Now in all fairness, shouldn't the same rules be applied to truckdrivers, and to the elderly driving in general? My dad (age 69 now) feels that once you turn 55, you should have to take a "checkride" with the DMV every so often just to drive a car. Try to get the AARP to swallow that one, though!! (Reference the blue-haired old lady in my apartment complex who manages to park the nose of her Taurus up on the curb every time she comes by to check the mail. The car is not THAT long! It will fit in a standard parking spot without finding the curb!)
As far as the age 60 rule, in my opinion; if a guy can keep his medical, pass his checkrides, and still function; he oughtta be allowed to keep going, especially in the current industry situation of slashed wages and shattered pensions. Maybe there needs to be a rule mandating that anyone over age 60 be paired with another pilot who is under age 45 or 50?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back