CO pilot dies at controls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

All this talk of ages/medical conditions, etc. are all irrelevant.

People keep living longer and longer, and the SocSec/Medicaire deficit projections keep getting higher and higher, so the gov't will be forced to have EVERYONE working longer to keep the books somewhat balanced.

Age 60 WILL be increased because of $.

cliff
MCI

Exactly!!! why do all these people want to work longer?? I have 32 years left in this mess of an industry, why would I beg to make it 37 more? I don't get it.

I dont know why you want to stay in it 32 more years...retire now!

Mod Input: To quote the CNN article. "The pilot's name was not released." Let's please keep it that way. That means no crew pairings, no names, etc. Lets have some respect for the families. RIP

Title: Pilot incapacitation, Boeing 737-436, G-DOCM Micro summary: The first officer of this Boeing 737-436 was incapacitated during flight.

Title: Pilot incapacitation, Incident, Airbus A320-212, TC-OAC Micro summary: The first officer of this Airbus A320 became incapacitated on landing.

On March 29, 1995, approximately 1726 central standard time, a Douglas DC-9-32, N5342L, made an emergency landing at Abilene, Texas, after the first officer became incapacitated and subsequently expired.

WHILE IN CRUISE FLIGHT EN ROUTE FROM NEWARK, NEW JERSEY, TO SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIA, THE FIRST OFFICER SUFFERED A GRAND MAL SEIZURE AND WAS INCAPABLE OF CONTINUING HIS DUTIES.

Sorry Pop's, dont get your depends in a bunch!

Natural causes= Old mofo.

Medical condition= Heart attack or something to that effect.

Moron!
Even old people die of a cause---if nothings wrong---you don't die.
Seems simple--that might be relative though.

Exactly!!! why do all these people want to work longer?? I have 32 years left in this mess of an industry, why would I beg to make it 37 more? I don't get it.

Then retire when you are 60 and let me retire when I'm 65! Is that such a great problem?

anyone heard how old the guy is?

for the dude that said "well it'll actually help the 65 rule," what about if there had been t-storms or low vis, or the plane broke inflight, or it was at a regional and some 500 hour wonder pilot was sitting to his right? I'm not saying any of us can't handle stuff on our own, it's just that we're never get the chance to hone up on our single pilot skills.

you "age 65-ers" say "well as long as he can pass a medical..."

come on...dont know about you but a monkey could pass my medical for me..in and out in 10 minutes.

35 years of having a sedentary..fast-food eating job..you'e seen some of this pilots who can't see their boots...i don't want a 64 yr old version of that guy flying my family around with some F/O new on the plane.

condolences to the guys family...

Ahhh....so you believe in resurection...good!

This guy was in his 50's...bummer...hell, the stress of the last years of dealing with the fracking tsa probably took ten years off his life.-When's my next paycut coming? Will I have my retirement? Hell Yeah I want bacon on that burger! Tomorrow I might not be able to buy one! ********************, I have to pay child support and alimony to three ex wives! To say nothing of the whacked sleep pattern changes we put up with and rest requirements that take years off your life if followed to the letter of the law.

In fact, look at how many times in the Part 121 NTSB fatal accident reports that fatigue is mentioned. Now look at how many were caused by the other pilot being dead before the crash...ain't none.

What if the guy had been 42? And when was the last time this happened?

And most importantly, the FO did his/her job and got the thing on the ground safely!

Nice work...I'll let you buy the beer anytime ;)

Last edited:
65 will become a necessity. The way pay, job stability, and retirements have gone down the tubes...pilots will need to continue working. (unless they prepared themselves financially via some other means)

Latest resources

Back