CO IRO's in coach?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan Roman

This was brought up in another string but I have a hard time believing that it wasn't some blowhard making it up. Can someone confirm their policy and also the reality on the line?

What part of it?

Yes, if you are a DH'ing to IRO a flight you can find yourself in the back.

Yes, if you are an IRO, CA, or FO, working a flight you can find the crew rest in the back. It will then be a row of three seats alone.

The progression in all of these is Business First; then best to worst of the coach seats assignments.

Some flights you are almost always in coach; EWR-HNL 90%, EWR-ATH maybe 30% of the time, Europe I see coach about 20%, etc, etc.

on some flights the IRO is deadheaded and given a seat in coach. On flights where their working they are given a row in coach. I believe that's correct.

That has got to change in your next contract. It is a safety item. On the all nighter to Europe, and you have an extra pilot who is going to work back anyway, the crew should be staffed to allow for a break.

if UAL and CO ever get together we will need your scope and our International protocal.

Welcome to the reality of the worst work rules in the industry. They are so bad, that if we accepted Mgt's offer of DAL's contract (won't happen in a million years), even after parking the remaining 32 737-500s (resulting in about 350 less pilot positions) the 448 extra positions created by their superior work rules would require around 100 recalls to staff this place. Of course next they'll park every -700 they don't absolutely need for performance issues, then they'll see how they can "increase frequency for the customer" by replacing every -800 they don't need for transcons with RP E-175s, and you can see why scope relief is dead on arrival. So yeah, coach crew rest on long haul flights should come as no surprise to anyone familiar with just how lacking this place is with things that every other legacy pilot group has always taken for granted.

What's the min rest the IRO's get before the westbound crossing?

Generally, on transatlantic, the IRO deadheads in with the working CA/FO the day before so they get about 26 hours. There are some exceptions on the 737 stuff to HNL as well as a few others.

I can't wait to get out of this contract. It's amazing how I can't find anyone that voted yes for it.

Our management is so spoiled, I am not the militant type, but I am ready to be. In fact, i think the time is now. I think we should put our foot down and not fly more than 80 hours this summer. I think we need to slow things down and let the company know we are tired of working under this agreement. ... Just my opinion of course. I hate to say it, but I don't think this pilot group is ready for all this.

At Delta, we get to do 5 hour deadheads to the Caribbean in coach from DTW to fly right back with a 40 minute turn. It's not quite as bad as CAL, but it's still pretty bad. This is another reason you don't want our contract.

At Delta, we get to do 5 hour deadheads to the Caribbean in coach from DTW to fly right back with a 40 minute turn. It's not quite as bad as CAL, but it's still pretty bad. This is another reason you don't want our contract.

10 hours of pay for the day seems pretty good, work 7 of those crappy days and that's it?

Latest resources

Back