• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow, doesn't DEN have the longest civilian runways in the country too (16000 ft)? That's quite a long way to roll without stopping.
They are saying it was during takeoff and the airplane departed rwy 34R at WC which is only about 2000' or so down the rwy.

I flew through DEN about an hour before this. Runways were totally clear, winds were strong and gusty, LLWS advisory on ATIS.

Wonder if the full length of the runway was clear. I landed JFK 4R on Saturday morning and as I was crossing 4L to the ramp, we both were amazed looking down towards the beginning of the runway, it had been cleared only to about just beyond where everyone was rotating.

It was snow-covered where we crossed down-field. We both remarked how that would be a $hitty surface to perform a reject on! Must be Bloomberg/Patterson's way of saving $$$.

I took off about 20 minutes prior.. runways were clear all the way. From where all the lights were when we came back in it looked like it departed the side of the runway and came to rest between 3000 and 5000 feet down between the 34's. Definitely was some funky winds and windshear in the area.

cale

Yahoo news:
DENVER – Firefighters said it was like something out of a movie — passengers emerging from a smoke-filled ravine where the remains of a Boeing 737 lay in flames, its landing gear and left engine shorn off.
Denver Fire Department Division Chief Patrick Hynes called it "surreal." The fire burned the entire right side of the plane, and melted plastic from overhead compartments dripped onto the seats below.
Thirty-eight people suffered injuries including broken bones, and two were in critical condition with fractures after the Saturday evening accident, officials said.

Yes, glad everyone made it out alive.
I'm still wondering why there was such an attack on the first guy that said the same thing. There are not too many cases where all occupants survive aircraft incidents / accidents where flames are involved

Latest resources

Back