• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CO 737 off runway in DEN

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its funny reading all these posts...especially the ones from the apparent media and the responses some of the readers left.

Some of you trip me up as well...yes i know, i do a lot of joking on here pretty often, well not as often anymore recently. BUT.......

What i saw last night scared the SH!T out of me! We were holding short of 34R as CO 1404 started its takeoff roll on it's ill fated attempt at flight. We were talking about the lear 31 that was in position in front of us when the lear reported that "a plane just went off the runway." When i looked down the runway towards the departure end i could see smoke and the glow of flames. Tower tried multiple times to reach the CO flight without response and then ceased all operations on the west side by cancelling a TO clearance for 34L and clearing the lear from 34R to exit on F2. When the tower finally declared a "code red," the fire trucks gradually started emerging from the fire stations. The fire station not more than 100 yards from the resting spot of the A/C had a truck come out first, and it slowly drove past the accident site on taxiway WC then turned right down 34R towards the end where we were. During this time two fire trucks pulled up next to the lear on F2 and seemed ready to douse him with eveything they had. Tower repeatedly told the crews exactly where the accident site was but none of them listened and continued to remain around the lear while the other truck continued towards us. Finally as the truck came close to the end of 34R they must of had an oh sh!t moment as they realized we were both not a "737-500 series" as to which tower told them was the accident a/c. They finally found the a/c right where they were told the whole time it was(and they ignored).

Yes, it was surreal, almost dream like. Knowing we just saw this a/c start its t/o roll and now it was on fire and in condition unknown down a 100' ravine off the side of the runway. Because of the time of year we knew it was most likely full, and the thought of what could have been made us anxious, nervous and really scared. I know my voice cracked a little when tower had us move to a different area. The poor Solutions guys were pretty bad off, you could hear it in their voice and their responses to towers instructions to clear the runway and the ensuing ground conversation for their t/o...which didn't happen, they returned to the FBO. I guarantee those two gentlemen saw the plane veer of the side and then saw the smoke and fire and were expecting the worst.

During the entire flight to PHL we could do nothing but talk about what we had just witnessed, and "if" anyone could survive such an ordeal. We were finally relieved and very happy to hear that everyone was alive when we arrived in PHL that night, definately changed the nervous shakes throughout the body to feelings of joy and well being. It is very humbling when you see something like this in person versus seeing pictures on television or the news from halfway around the world or the country. Really brings the dangers of our profession to life.

Thank god everyone is ok, and to everyone out there, be careful and have a safe and happy holiday.

Its funny reading all these posts...especially the ones from the apparent media and the responses some of the readers left.

Some of you trip me up as well...yes i know, i do a lot of joking on here pretty often, well not as often anymore recently. BUT.......

What i saw last night scared the SH!T out of me! We were holding short of 34R as CO 1404 started its takeoff roll on it's ill fated attempt at flight. We were talking about the lear 31 that was in position in front of us when the lear reported that "a plane just went off the runway." When i looked down the runway towards the departure end i could see smoke and the glow of flames. Tower tried multiple times to reach the CO flight without response and then ceased all operations on the west side by cancelling a TO clearance for 34L and clearing the lear from 34R to exit on F2. When the tower finally declared a "code red," the fire trucks gradually started emerging from the fire stations. The fire station not more than 100 yards from the resting spot of the A/C had a truck come out first, and it slowly drove past the accident site on taxiway WC then turned right down 34R towards the end where we were. During this time two fire trucks pulled up next to the lear on F2 and seemed ready to douse him with eveything they had. Tower repeatedly told the crews exactly where the accident site was but none of them listened and continued to remain around the lear while the other truck continued towards us. Finally as the truck came close to the end of 34R they must of had an oh sh!t moment as they realized we were both not a "737-500 series" as to which tower told them was the accident a/c. They finally found the a/c right where they were told the whole time it was(and they ignored).

Yes, it was surreal, almost dream like. Knowing we just saw this a/c start its t/o roll and now it was on fire and in condition unknown down a 100' ravine off the side of the runway. Because of the time of year we knew it was most likely full, and the thought of what could have been made us anxious, nervous and really scared. I know my voice cracked a little when tower had us move to a different area. The poor Solutions guys were pretty bad off, you could hear it in their voice and their responses to towers instructions to clear the runway and the ensuing ground conversation for their t/o...which didn't happen, they returned to the FBO. I guarantee those two gentlemen saw the plane veer of the side and then saw the smoke and fire and were expecting the worst.

During the entire flight to PHL we could do nothing but talk about what we had just witnessed, and "if" anyone could survive such an ordeal. We were finally relieved and very happy to hear that everyone was alive when we arrived in PHL that night, definately changed the nervous shakes throughout the body to feelings of joy and well being. It is very humbling when you see something like this in person versus seeing pictures on television or the news from halfway around the world or the country. Really brings the dangers of our profession to life.

Thank god everyone is ok, and to everyone out there, be careful and have a safe and happy holiday.

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!

Please pray for the crew and thier families as well as those who were injured. It could have been much worse.

20081221__PLANE_CRASH_HRA~p1_500.jpg

Judging by that photo they got really lucky not to hit that building on the hill (firestation?).

Like I was told many years ago: "When you start out in this business you are given a bag of magic dust..."

Glad everyone got out... now I can't wait until Miles O'Brian and the other T.V. idiots w/ private pilot licenses start "analyzing" what the pilots were doing.

Glad everyone got out... now I can't wait until Miles O'Brian and the other T.V. idiots w/ private pilot licenses start "analyzing" what the pilots were doing.

Well, Miles got canned from CNN a few weeks ago, along with a few others. Who knows where he'll be spouting off from any more.

Merry Christmas to you too brutha.........

Very well said.

Below is a comment made by one of you experts.
Moron. Morons. All of them. STFU.
Scary, if that imbecile really does teach students to fly. Another 20 years and I won't fly as a pax anymore.

http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=106332&catid=339
cheifpilot wrote:
Ok this is rare for me to comment but, to all the other Pilots out there. After V1 you continue!!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully you will get to V2 and then rotate. Stoping after passing V1 (the decision speed for all non pilots) is sure to end in a major accident. Yes I teach Pilots to fly and I would have my students ass, if they reject or attempt to reject take-off after V1. I dont care if the engine falls off, you still continue. Even if both powerplants fail you still attempt the take off and put it down somewhere you determine safe within the "captian" breifing prior to take off roll.
12/21/2008 10:24 AM PST on 9news.com

Not surprising he's a CHIEF pilot. Get those guys into the office and off the line.

Glad everyone is safe. I hear ALPA is doing a stellar job of protecting the crew.

Yes I teach Pilots to fly and I would have my students ass, if they reject or attempt to reject take-off after V1. I dont care if the engine falls off, you still continue. Even if both powerplants fail you still attempt the take off and put it down somewhere you determine safe within the "captian" breifing prior to take off roll.

Is this a misprint or something?

How the FK are you supposed to takeoff with no thrust? WTF is this guy talking about. The whole "past" V1 thing only works when at least one engine is turning. Chief pilot too, huh? :laugh:

Investigators are looking into the possibility that brake problems....

Early blame points to Continental jet's brakes

Five people remain hospitalized in the Denver area, one in serious condition

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/chronicle/6175524.html

NTSB press conference tonight at 1930 EST.

Latest resources

Back