• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cmr

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What happens next is Comair ALPA files a lawsuit in a LABOR court instead of a bankruptcy court and should win. And what if they don't?

They wait until out of bankruptcy and walk. There will be no contract. If Delta and Comair want to push it, they will get what they ask for.

Good luck guys.

talked to a buddy of mine at CMR..he says that they are taking a pay cut of $2 or something like that...dont flame me to hard guys LOL

I, as a70 FO, will take a 20% pay cut! All the FO's are gonna be on one pay scale, and if company gets the clarification motion ruled in their favor they are going to implement all of the downsides to their proposal and none of the up sides. No restoration of longevity, etc...

Will ALPA do anything about this? What can they realistically do? Nothing. This is a matter of the judicial system and RLA being slanted the way they are.

This blows

I think it is time to challenge the authority of the Railway Labor Act in this instance.

It was illegal when Rosa Parks sat down on the bus, but she saw an unjust law, fought it, and it was changed.

It would seem a little peaceful boycott is in order. Anything illegal about almost 4,000 pilots all turning in their individual letters of resignation simultaneously?

In theory Fins, it would work - however in the real world, you have a better chance of General Lee admitting he is wrong.

There are 3 basic groups of pilots at the regionals.

1. The new hire trying to upgrade, get PIC, and go to "the major" where life is great there is "big rock candy mountain". He or she doesn't really care as long as there is a quick upgrade. After all, this isn't a real job anyway - it is just a means to an end.

2. The fired up, pissed off mid-seniority guy that is a junior captain, or a senior FO. They are pissed off, but they are trying like mad to get out - doesn't matter where - just out. They are the most likely to take any action, but they are leaving in droves, and they won't do anything that could ultimately harm the jobs they are currently interviewing for.

3. The "lifer". Some of these are too old to move on, and some such as myself don't have that bad of a gig. 6 digit incomes and 17-18 days off a month isn't that bad compared to much of the general population. How do you tell someone in this group to "give it all up for the greater good" when they would have to start all over at the bottom for $20-$25 K and 10 days off - most likely in a different domicile. Not going to get much support there.

Time for some long range strategic planning which includes:

1. Transportability of seniority. Why are we the only profession that has to start all over again each time we change jobs. Nobody can say this isn't possible because EVERY other profession does it.

2. Barriers to entry. What other profession allows a mere 10 months to become qualified. This is both a safety issue and a collective bargaining issue.

3. Effective "brand scope" that prevents carriers for bidding within a brand for work.

Until these things take place, everyone is just pi$$ing in the wind.....

Last edited:
Fins:
What you're writing is admirable, but let's be real here. How many do you think will really walk the walk? I've heard from everyone why he/she does what they do, right down to greenslipping while we had guys on the street.
What you're suggestion takes real UNION balls, what we belong to is an organization!

Speaking of "Greenslipping" do you feel the same way about those pilots as you do about Comair pilots?

I think it is time to challenge the authority of the Railway Labor Act in this instance.

I hope you support ALPA-PAC, if you don't, then don't complain about the fact that we have one of the most anti-labor governments in the industrialized world.

You want to challenge the RLA and these recent court decisions. Support ALPA-PAC.

Good question...

What happens now? "We can only strike after the Railway Labor Act processes have been completed"...whatever that means, does not sound good.
Lets see, ASA has been negotiating under the RLA for four long years.... In other words, Comair pilots will be forced to work under the Company's imposed contract until it no longer makes a difference to the Company and they decide to negotiate.

I'm thinking the union should collect letters of resignation like a strike vote. If your MEC Chair walked into a meeting with a box of 1,800 resignation letters, he would have Delta's full attention. Let me know where to send mine - this abuse has to stop.

You want to challenge the RLA and these recent court decisions. Support ALPA-PAC.
You Sir are correct and have changed my position on ALPA PAC.

I hope you support ALPA-PAC, if you don't, then don't complain about the fact that we have one of the most anti-labor governments in the industrialized world.

FDJ2,
So is that ALPA's answer to improving things? Supporting liberal politicians is our only hope? If so, we are all in trouble. Many of us don't want "European style" government. Any potential benefits would quickly be erased by higher taxes, higher unemployment, more govt. regulation, higher oil costs, slowing economy, and a free pass for Muslim extremists. None of which will help our industry.

Has ALPA considered some "new" approaches?

1. Transportability of seniority like all other professions. This would allow people to make lateral moves, and the MESA's of the world would have to increase their pay and improve workrules.

2. Barriers to entry. Why does it only take 10 months to become an airline pilot? Open up a Flying magazine or AOPA magazine. Plenty of places offering to make people airline pilots in 10 months. Can you make a doctor, lawyer, accountant, or engineer in 10 months?

3. Effective Brand Scope that prevents carriers and pilot groups from competing with each other. So far this has only received lip service from ALPA.

There are many other things ALPA can do besides plead with a conservative group of people that they must support Democrats and Liberals......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back