Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Al Coholic

RE: On the Move

After spending my first two weeks entrenched in our operations and getting to know Comair people, I

would like to thank you for the warm welcome and the great feedback about our airline. From my many

conversations, I heard several themes repeatedly including frustration about our operational performance,

uncertainty about our future and job security, and fostering a one-team approach. Overall, I would say

everyone feels our industry and company are at an important juncture. Through first-hand observations

and listening to you, we are ready to take action on the three focus areas outlined in my initial letter last

week.

Regarding
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]operational integrity for safe and reliable operations[/font], we can do a better job at minimizing

flight cancellations caused by maintenance issues. These can create a snowball effect for aircraft and crew

swaps, resulting in tough situations for the front line throughout the day. Our maintenance team is

working hard but we need to have more touch points in the system to clear maintenance items. To that

end, we are going to double our overnight maintenance capacity and the number of aircraft touched by

Comair mechanics. We are opening an overnight hangar and maintenance base in Greensboro, N.C. as

well as adding four line maintenance bases in Lexington, Akron Canton, Knoxville and Raleigh Durham.

We are also adding Mobile One capability in Greensboro and Raleigh. This significantly increases the

reliability of our aircraft by addressing maintenance items, APUs, lavatories and other minimum

equipment list (MEL) issues. By reducing our third party maintenance, the additional capacity will be

self-funded. Additional information on the increased maintenance capacity will be shared next week.

Beyond the maintenance bases, we are assessing our support systems, such as crew scheduling,

maintenance tracking, etc., to provide sufficient tools for our team to do their jobs well. In our vital hub

operations, we are recruiting and training additional ramp staff as well as making improvements to the

deicing process. We are taking a critical look at reducing the number of crew swaps and how we flow

crews throughout the network to ensure the best crew availability for operational needs. Supplemental

crew bases are being considered. All of these things will help minimize significant impacts from irregular

operations in the future. We have a lot of work to do in the operation and you will see more initiatives in

the coming weeks and months.

To improve
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]customer service excellence, [/font]we will be working with Delta to address policies that make it

difficult to be at our best. In fact, two critical policies change March 1. We will bring the authorization

levels down to the capacity of the aircraft, thereby eliminating over-sales. We will also align the deniedboarding

compensation for Comair to be consistent with Delta’s. There is an emphasis on increasing

customer-facing technology, such as adding kiosks in 15 of our field locations (ABE, BGR, BUF, CAK,

DSM, FWA, GRR, ISP, MDT, MDW, MHT, OMA, ROC, SBN, TOL). Delta Direct will be available in

Concourse C by mid-summer and we are taking another look at customer information displays for

departures in CVG. In making these changes, we will create a better environment for our people to have a

caring approach with customers and each other.

To execute Comair’s viability plan for the next decade, we need
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]a winning growth strategy [/font]that will

ensure Comair is here 10 years from now. I want Comair to fly the ERJ 170, a 70-seat aircraft with stateof-

the-art technology and superior customer comfort features. I view moving into this equipment type as

critical. Just like Comair made the innovative move in 1993 to be a CRJ provider, we have to make an

innovative step now for the next 10 years.

The only way to provide greater job stability is to keep the company growing. In my meetings with you, I

said we needed to find a winning growth strategy to position us for the future. We have started on that

path with our recent tentative agreement with the International Association of Machinists (IAM). We need

to begin that process with pilots and flight attendants in order to position ourselves to grow.
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]I am not

asking pilots and flight attendants for a pay cut.
[/font]However, I am asking that we not dig the hole deeper.

I
[font=TimesNewRoman,Italic]am [/font]asking pilots and flight attendants for a pay freeze, commencing with the first growth aircraft

delivery, combined with a one-year extension to the pilot and flight attendant collective bargaining

agreements. In exchange, we will commit to at least 10 additional CRJ 200s and 25 additional 70-seat

aircraft. If circumstances change and these additional airplanes do not come to Comair, these changes to

the pilot and flight attendant contracts will be nullified.

Maintaining current pay levels is consistent with our other workgroups. As announced in December,

management and non-represented groups will not receive pay increases this year and have had pay freezes

in other recent years. We reached a tentative agreement yesterday with the IAM that keeps our mechanics

competitive with the marketplace. Because I believe leaders should walk the talk, I will be taking a 10%

pay cut as will all the officers beginning March 1. As part of operating as one team, all work groups will

be included in the Performance Pay Program commencing with the agreed upon proposal.

The specifics of the proposal have been shared with the leaders of the Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA)

and International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT). They are:

1. One-year contract extensions, making the pilot agreement amendable in May 2007 and the flight

attendant agreement amendable in July 2008;

2. A pay freeze, including longevity increases, for the period of the contract;

3. For pilots, new equipment seat freezes extended to 30 months for captain and first officer

positions.

If the proposal is agreed to, the guarantee for the Comair team includes:

o​
At least 25 new 70-seaters (hopefully ERJ 170s) and 10 CRJ 200s;

o​
Everyone included in the Performance Pay Program (PPP) so we work together toward the success

of our operation;

o​
[font=TimesNewRoman,Bold]No changes to the pilot and flight attendant labor agreements if the airplanes are not

delivered.

[/font]
I have challenged ALPA and the IBT to agree to our proposal by the third week in February. We need to

know whether we can capture these opportunities. We have deliberately made this proposal simple so it

can be agreed to in an expedited fashion. Time is of the essence. I am asking pilots and flight attendants to

discuss this with their union leadership.

In all of my focus groups and employee meetings, there is a strong desire to be on the move again.

Therefore, it is important that we move on all these initiatives quickly. By continuing to focus on these

three imperatives - operational integrity, customer service excellence and a winning growth strategy - we

can reclaim our position as the premier regional carrier.

In the coming weeks, I will continue to be available in the operation to talk about these issues. I look

forward to a long, successful flight path ahead.

Wow. Sorry to say, but the ASA president couldn't come up with such a plan, even if his golf game depended on it...

Al Coholic said:
2. A pay freeze, including longevity increases, for the period of the contract;

Wow, sounds rather encouraging for you guys. Regarding the line above, does he mean that there will no longer be longevity increases, or that longevity increases will not affected as part of the pay freeze? I hope it's the latter, for the sake of your first-year FOs--I think I'd have to quit from ASA if I couldn't look forward to next year's pay; there's just no way this first-year business is sustainable.

Josh M.

Wow, so will Comair trade their contract for growth? If they do there will be a lot of crow to eat. I guess the games have begun.

In 2003, ASA tried that same crap. They wanted to extend our currentcontract for 2 more years in exchange for "growth airplanes."The onlything mgmt got was our collective middle fingers. Stand strong Comairand say "no"...chances are you'll get the airplanes anyway.

Last edited:
How do you mean 'trade contract for growth'? Doesn't sound like they are giving anything, just freezing what they have.

If ALPA does not agree to this, I suspect that they will create a huge rift between the junior and senior pilots.

They may not have a choice.

That is going to be hard for the pilots to say when just about everybody else in the company has already taken a pay cut or pay freeze not to mention the sacrifices at delta. I'm sure there are a lot of people at Comair that would love to see Chautaqua get another airplane at their expense. Let me get this straight, you keep your industry leading contract for another year and do not have to take a paycut, when the company obviously needs help. Plus, nobody on either side of the fence wants negotiations to begin in June, thanks to the contracts their peers have signed in the last five years (pilots), and the company's financial standing and potential divestiture (company). No brainer, this will pass.

DDpaysoff said:
No brainer, this will pass.

Very well put post, DD. The only thing going against this passing isego, and the Comair pilots, as a whole, are intelligent enough to knowwhen ego is getting in the way of doing what's best.

I wouldn't call it a no brainer, but I agree it will pass.

Last edited:

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back