Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Closing the ramp during thunderstorms...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

91100 100 set

to the book
So I was sitting in IAD today, trying to get out before the storms rolled through, and of course the ramp couldn't get us out before the powers-that-be closed the ramp for lightning strikes. So we sat there for almost 2 hours turning fuel into noise, all closed up, ready to push back, listening to the rain and thunder, accompanied by the usual banter (ie. childish whining) that always occurs on the operations frequency in such situations.

And I got to thinking. 4 or 5 years ago, I don't remember the ramp ever being shut down for thunderstorms in the area. Perhaps, just by coincidence, I was never working on such days, but lately it seems to happen alot more, 4 to 5 times each season. And I hear stories about a ramp worker being killed (in Pittsburgh perhaps?) by a lightning strike a few years back. Does anybody know anything about such an incident. Has there been a change in general policies regarding this type of thing, or is my memory just being spotty?

Don't know when it all got started, but its not a bad thing. If I were a ramper, my a$$ would be hiding anytime lightning was hitting near the airport.

We've all sat on an airplane waiting for the ramp to reopen. Mine was the other day while a storm blew through CLT. Got there 50 min early after leaving the gate 25 min early to begin with, then block in 20 some odd minutes late due to the ramp closure.

From a study on ground damge and injuries:

The people toll

Ground workers make up most of the deaths and injuries, although aircrews and passengers are not exempt. All of the deaths and serious injuries occurred singly, with one aircraft involved:

Deaths to three passengers and flightcrew:

* 1 blind elderly passenger fell from a catering door on boarding.

* 1 disabled passenger fell on the turboprop aircraft's door steps while exiting.

* 1 first officer fell from the cargo door during loading.

Deaths to 14 ground workers:

* 8 were struck and killed by propellers (most at night; 4 arrivals, 4 departures).

* 6 involved jets during pushback/departure:

- 3 struck by landing gear.

- 1 killed working on a failed tire.

- 1 killed as lightning jumped from aircraft to headset.

- 1 tow bar failed (drove tug into and underneath aircraft).

"All three of these single-item events involved failures of basic procedures," Matthews said. The tire was being worked on without proper tools. Operations were not halted during the period of the lightning hazard. The tug was not powerful enough for the aircraft being moved.

TP

91 said:
So I was sitting in IAD today, trying to get out before the storms rolled through, and of course the ramp couldn't get us out before the powers-that-be closed the ramp for lightning strikes...

...Has there been a change in general policies regarding this type of thing, or is my memory just being spotty?
Yea, ask your ramp manager how he/she feels about the risk of being charged in criminal court on second degree murder or manslaughter charges in a "criminal negligence" trial.

91 said:
So I was sitting in IAD today, trying to get out before the storms rolled through, and of course the ramp couldn't get us out before the powers-that-be closed the ramp for lightning strikes. So we sat there for almost 2 hours turning fuel into noise, all closed up, ready to push back, listening to the rain and thunder, accompanied by the usual banter (ie. childish whining) that always occurs on the operations frequency in such situations.

And I got to thinking. 4 or 5 years ago, I don't remember the ramp ever being shut down for thunderstorms in the area. Perhaps, just by coincidence, I was never working on such days, but lately it seems to happen alot more, 4 to 5 times each season. And I hear stories about a ramp worker being killed (in Pittsburgh perhaps?) by a lightning strike a few years back. Does anybody know anything about such an incident. Has there been a change in general policies regarding this type of thing, or is my memory just being spotty?

They used to close the old PHL (pre terminal F) ramp often during TS. Yeah I was in the crashpad in Crystal City for thoes storms today. The first one wasn't bad but that big one (the second one) that passed over IAD than came for DCA was pretty awsome. I saw several lightening strikes on the giant crane just south of the Boeing building on Crystal Drive. One of the restraunts on 23rd street next to our crashpad got hit also while we were standing on our 5th floor balconey, about a block away. Good news though, the titty bar on 23rd next to the 7-11 came thru just fine and was open for bizz as usual.

Sometimes at DFW it seems like they'll wait until the last minute to close the ramp but then the sun will be out and the storm almost to the horizon before they open it again.

Usually, the red lights are controlled by the airport authority, so you're @ the mercy of the locals...

I became a believer when I saw the lights at the FDX hub in MEM. Given that they are known for a plantation mentality to theit hubbites, anything that would delay the almighty sort should be respected.

I thought the yellow and red lights were automatic in PIT. At least that is what they used to tell us.

The more frustrating part was after the lights went out it still took the ramp about 10 minutes to get back outside to marshal anyone in.

MIA closes their ramp like 3 to 5 times a week during the summer.
Just watch the red light flash away.
I understand closing the ramp; as I was a ramp agent and ticket agent for 5 years during college.

Latest resources

Back