Close KLEX!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyby

Why stop at closing runway 26? I can guarantee KLEX will never have another accident if they close the entire airport. I think the Kentucky Governor is onto something here. We should close all short runways at all airports where there is 121 service. It's the only way to be sure.

You Kentuckians are lucky to have such a critical thinker.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/15390602.htm

flyby said:
Why stop at closing runway 26? I can guarantee KLEX will never have another accident if they close the entire airport. I think the Kentucky Governor is onto something here. We should close all short runways at all airports where there is 121 service. It's the only way to be sure.

You Kentuckians are lucky to have such a critical thinker.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/15390602.htm

Better yet, why dont we close all airports nationwide and ban all airplanes. Then there would never be another aviation accident.

Hey now, don't hate on the home state! Don't make me break out any Ohio (or Michigan, or Tennessee, or Flordia, or Texas, or New York, or California) jokes...:laugh:

Gov Fletcher has a point in that, operationally, 8/26 is rarely used. As someone who has hundreds of operations at LEX (most working for Charlie Monette), I really don't think its presence would be missed, even by primary students.

They have discussed lengthening 26 to 5000-7000 feet (or putting in an 8000-9000ft parallel to 4/22) as part of the airport Master Plan, but that was a couple years ago and was nixed by the wealthy landowners & horse farmers surrounding Blue Grass Airport. This accident *might* provide the funding and political capital to make that expansion happen. That is probably what this article is really all about.

didn't this governor violate DC ADIZ in a king air or was that a senator from the commonwealth?

I have an idea...why dosen't someone insist on more than just "adequate" rest rules for both crew and controller. While we're at it we could reinforce the complacency kills concept. And oh yes, maybe we could mention that accidents do infact happen until such a time all human intervention with things mechanical ceases. On second thought, kneejerk government reaction is probably just alot easier.

RV

CitationLover said:
didn't this governor violate DC ADIZ in a king air or was that a senator from the commonwealth?

The State of Kentucky B200 (former Army C12, one of the oldest of that model still flying) had a transponder failure enroute to DCA and coordinated with ARTCC to continue for Reagan's funeral. Unfortunately, the FAA failed to communicate with the Air Force...and all hell broke loose.

Gofish said:
Hey Boiler...ever land 26 in PHL?

All the time...

BoilerUP said:
The State of Kentucky B200 (former Army C12, one of the oldest of that model still flying) had a transponder failure enroute to DCA and coordinated with ARTCC to continue for Reagan's funeral. Unfortunately, the FAA failed to communicate with the Air Force...and all hell broke loose.

All the time...
How come you elected to continue to DC, with a busted transponder? Kind of stupid, don't ya think?

twepilot said:
I have an idea...why dosen't someone insist on more than just "adequate" rest rules for both crew and controller. While we're at it we could reinforce the complacency kills concept. And oh yes, maybe we could mention that accidents do infact happen until such a time all human intervention with things mechanical ceases. On second thought, kneejerk government reaction is probably just alot easier.

RV
I like those ideas.

Why can't they just modifly the signs at intersections to indicate the runway remaining for that entry to the runway. For example:

RWY 26-3.5/08-.1. There could be variations to this, like if your runway remaining is less than 1000 feet the sign would have an X on it...

RWY 26-3.5/08-XX

I guess ya'll get the point. It seems like a fundamental piece of information that is cumbersome to locate on the chart. I know performance data is respective to weight but it sure would be good for sit. awareness to have a length.

This accident is going to save lives... some day.

Latest resources

Back