• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Close Calls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Holding at a VOR with my student , while VFR and no radar, had an encounter with a 172 as we were turning outbound. Grabed the yoke, said an expletive and banked that thing faster than i ever had before. Missed the dude by about 100feetish. Could tell he had David Clarks on his head as he passed off my left.

Had a student who outwieghed me by abuot 100 pounds freeze on teh controls in an inadvertant spin. Took some effort to get him unstuck.

another one i just thought of:

shooting a practice ILS approach at a non towered airport making all appropriate position calls for IFR and VFR. we're right about at DH and some yahoo down on the ground calls cessna 123xyz departing runway 35 (we were approaching 17) without making any prior radio calls. We get off the approach course and this guys zooms by about 150' from us and says im kind of in a hurry as i eat his lunch on the radio. even had the fbo call up on ctaf asking if everything was ok.

For me it was a near miss in LAS this September.

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=63140

I was the FO, and the PF. We were cleared onto the runway for takeoff, I applied power and we started to roll. It was about 11pm, dark, and still hot outside. We were very heavy, just a few hundred pounds short of needing a 'bleeds off' takeoff. Just after we started rolling the tower cleared the A/C behind us into position, but they requested another 30 seconds. Tower said "Cactus XXX, cancel takeoff clearance", using their callsign. It was all very low key, and the cadance and timing made both the Captain and me think he just misspoke for the A/C behind us, and should have said "cancel position and hold". He actually meant us, but didn't correct himself.

Unknown to us, just before we had switched to tower, and Air Canada A320 had landed on the parallel and the tower had cleared him to cross our runway. We hadn't heard that clearance.

There were no more transmissions from the tower.

At about 20 knots below V1 the Captain says "I don't think he's stopping". I look over to see the Air Canada moving closer, then right across our runway. I haul back on the sidestick just as the Captain yelled "Pull, pull, pull!" There was no way we could stop before hitting him, so I knew we had to go over. We were still about 10 - 15 knots under Vr and I expected a tailstrike, but we were lucky. We staggered into the air, and the Captain watched out the front as we passed directly over the Air Canada by 50 - 100 feet.

And the passengers never knew a thing.

HAL

HAL said:
For me it was a near miss in LAS this September.

Holy crap... I think you win.

Driving back from teaching a class one night on a two-lane highway in Dublin, Ohio ... saw two cars approaching in the distance which seemed to be side-by-side. A half a second later, I realized that they were side by side and someone must have been passing left of center ... so I slowed expecting him to get back over into his lane ... still not getting over ... still not getting over ... In all of a 10th of a second I had the sense to know there was a guardrail and a river on my right (so no ditching to the right) and trees on the left ... so at the very last second, with this guy doing about 60, I turned into the opposing lane of traffic letting him hit me in the rear passenger side of my Jeep Wrangler. My car spun several times and came to a stop on the road. When I crawled out the window I realized that, amongst other things, the entire rear passenger quarter of my car was gone.

I hit my head pretty hard on the roll bar, and had some whiplash issues. Dude's car flipped on its side and landed in the trees. Had I not turned, I would have hit the guy head on at a closing speed of about 100mph ... had I turned left sooner I would have missed his car completely and would have hit the minivan he was passing head on. Fraction of a second saved my life. Come to find out later on, dude who hit me had a BAC of .236 ... I kid you not. LIke most drunk drivers, he was fine ... fine enough to get out of his car and hide in the woods. Police dogs found him an hour later.

Last edited:
those doubting the integrity of jedi nein need only to do a search of her qualifications and accomplishments... she has no reason to lie to you... glad you made it out... =)

Latest resources

Back