Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Almerick07

Professional Surf Bum
What "close calls" has everyone had here?

Me personally, 2 alternator failures (1 in IMC). Gear failure to extend, pumped it down.

Traffic 12 o'clock, level, opposite direction. Didn't see him until probably less than a thousand feet range; we really were pointed spinner to spinner. Most likely would have gotten even closer if we weren't both talking to tower.

In retrospect, I should have turned away some, long before that point.

Last edited:
Lost everything in IMC— vacuum, pitot-static, T.C., Nav, and comms. I pondered the term “UCFIT” for “un”-controlled flight into terrain; sampled severe vertigo; found several new religions; and still don’t have a reason for why I survived.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

JediNein said:
Lost everything in IMC— vacuum, pitot-static, T.C., Nav, and comms. I pondered the term “UCFIT” for “un”-controlled flight into terrain; sampled severe vertigo; found several new religions; and still don’t have a reason for why I survived.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein
What kind of POS airplane were you flying? losing three different systems all at once??? Kinda hard to believe.....

Ive had 5 total electrical failures, luckily all in VMC, 1 at night; gear didnt come down and had to pull the knob; 3 "wasnt sure if my gear was down and locked" b/c gear light didnt illuminate; 1 rough running mag, 1 failed artificial horizon between layers; icing over the mountains at night in a 182RG; and probably more things I forgot. All this in just over a year. Oh yeah and several near misses. And I also slid off a taxiway due to brake failure. Im sure Ill come up with more.

Wimps

You guys, that nut'n, we get more than that during the first hour in the sim. :D

'Sled

yea i agree with you jedinein is full of it. unless it wasn't actually IMC. how many people do you think are completely full of it and just pose as pilots on this website?

Last edited:
soonerpilot625 said:
yea i agree with you jedinein is full of it. unless it wasn't actually IMC. how many people do you think are completely full of it and just pose as pilots on this website?
I'm not questioning the survivability of the situation, because if you have your head on straight, you should be able to get yourself out of it with a little effort. But the fact that these are three different systems (on most airplanes) which are completely independant of eachother, which supposedly fail all at the same time, makes it hard to believe. Unless there was some type of freakish occurrence that happened (i.e. - hit by a meteor that severs your pitot-static and vacuum lines while taking out your entire electrical system), I'd say I'd have to raise the BS flag here...

I could understand the losing of the electrical equipment all atonce b/c all that takes is a bad alternaotr and then running out of battery juice. But to have the pitot static and vaccuum as well? I call bs.

Latest resources

Back