Clip on ties

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Swass said:
Seriously, when you get a real job call me. I can teach you how to tie a real tie. For a fee I'll even teach you how to take it off again.

Then I'll go over and teach him why it's a bad idea to tie a friggin rope around his neck in an airplane......... ;)

It's more than just a comfort thing, btw.......

I'll even take the clip on tie a step further a safety point of view, having a minor in PAD, (Police Admin), you will never see an officer on duty with a tie on. The reason is not because he/she is lazy.

Now I will be the first to admit that I am lazy, but I will not be the one having the self made noose ready to be pulled tight.

http://www.wildties.com/infocenter/?page=CliponConversion

738gv, Safe flying!

I've worn a clip-on uniform tie my whole airline career - wouldn't be caught dead out of uniform with one on, though. The nanosecond the cockpit door closes that bad boy gets taken off. If you loosen up a regular tie on every leg, then they get pilly and worn out in a matter of weeks. I'll second Smoking Man's advice about having a noose around your neck in the event of a throw down, as well.

If you buy a cheap clip-on, you can carefully take it apart and see how it goes together. Take your regular tie (I'd suggest a long one, as this method eats up a lot of length) and wrap it around the little plastic thingee that has the clip on it. It might take a couple of tries to get the ends the right length. Sew the sides together and presto, clip-on tie.

Last edited:
I've never even owned a regular tie for work. I feel much more comfortable around irate Eagle passengers with a clip on. I don't see what the big deal is. Clip ons look nice and you can barely tell the difference anyway.

Does anyone know where I can get my lace-up shoes converted to velcro?

I was thinking along the lines of getting clip together pants. Those metal jaws that close to my manhood create quite a safety issue also. A guy could could bleed to death!

Seriously, I can see the idea about safety with a clip on. But for comfort, it's just as easy to loosen the tie and unhook the top botton. I've been wearing ties for a long time and got so used to them that once in the truck on the way home I never loosened it. probably for the best because you never know when you were going to run into some power mad senior Noncom or officer and be chewed out in public.

I love that we can get clip-ons through our uniform shop. The bummer is that they're made with a big ol' shiny clip, so it's obvious that you're wearing a clip-on, and that's just tacky, IMO. If they made them with a black clip to match the tie, it would be perfect!

What about using Velcro? Just cut the back of your tie, sew on the velcro patches and there you have it. Easy enough to remove inflight and put back on later, plus there's no metal clip showing, and the velcro would be hidden under your collar.
Has anyone tried this? I think I'm on my way to the patent office on Monday ;)

hobbsmeter said:
What about using Velcro? Just cut the back of your tie, sew on the velcro patches and there you have it. Easy enough to remove inflight and put back on later, plus there's no metal clip showing, and the velcro would be hidden under your collar.
Has anyone tried this? I think I'm on my way to the patent office on Monday ;)
Screw the velcro...just get some pilot shirts and have a tie design silk screened on them. They'll look kind of dorky if you don't button the top button, but at least it would beat the hell out having to change the oil in your tie ever three to five years.

There's a valid point to be made for not having a pre-tied garrotte around your neck when it's smack-down time.

In fact, I think we should have FLIGHT SUITS! :rolleyes: Yeah, let's flog that embarassing issue once more.

Latest resources

Back