• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

climbto350.com

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've tried Climbto350, but all jobs I've ever got have been word-of-mouth. Good luck; it's a nice site, just hasn't worked for me!

Yep, Word of mouth are always the best jobs.... and the way a great job is found.

I've tried climbto350.com for the last month and have found that about 98% of the pilot openings advertised want a current, typed pilot with at least 500+ time in type.. very specific; targeted employers that are looking apparently.

Here is a rather obsurd example (considering it is for a type that is barely certified & to my knowledge has no 'off the street' type-rating programs- just owners):
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]ArrowJet Services ECLIPSE 500 Captains ArrowJet Services is seeking qualified and current ECLIPSE 500 captains for short and long term contract assignments.

Competitive Captains will have the following minimum experience:
ATP
CFI-I, MEI Preferred
5000 TT
1500 Multi
500 Turbine
EA-50S Type Rating
No Accidents, Incidents, or Violations.

If you have the experience and would like to further your aviation career, please visit http://...
[/FONT]

..Don't see a lot of "will type the right applicant".

I've tried climbto350.com for the last month and have found that about 98% of the pilot openings advertised want a current, typed pilot with at least 500+ time in type.. very specific; targeted employers that are looking apparently.

Here is a rather obsurd example (considering it is for a type that is barely certified & to my knowledge has no 'off the street' type-rating programs- just owners):
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]ArrowJet Services ECLIPSE 500 Captains ArrowJet Services is seeking qualified and current ECLIPSE 500 captains for short and long term contract assignments. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]Competitive Captains will have the following minimum experience:[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]ATP[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]CFI-I, MEI Preferred[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]5000 TT[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]1500 Multi[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]500 Turbine[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]EA-50S Type Rating[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]No Accidents, Incidents, or Violations. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]If you have the experience and would like to further your aviation career, please visit http://...[/FONT]

..Don't see a lot of "will type the right applicant".

I agree. People here have recommended to me as a low-time CFI to "get a right seat job in a lear or king air" to build time and experience. All the jobs like that on Climbto350.com want guys with 2500TT, to sit in the RIGHT seat. It seems that airlines are the easiest jobs to get these days. If you don't want to go airlines, be prepared to do touch an goes in 152's for two years.

That being said I still like the website.

I agree. People here have recommended to me as a low-time CFI to "get a right seat job in a lear or king air" to build time and experience. All the jobs like that on Climbto350.com want guys with 2500TT, to sit in the RIGHT seat. It seems that airlines are the easiest jobs to get these days. If you don't want to go airlines, be prepared to do touch an goes in 152's for two years.

That being said I still like the website.

I know several people who have gotten jobs off of climbto350 in the last year or so. Two of the individuals it was their first jet aircraft and one had no previous turbine and the other had very little (less than 50 hours). There are several reasons that these companies advertise for current and typed pilots with ATPs and a bunch of time. One of them is because of the WYVERN/ARGUS auditing houses that require crews to have a specific amount of time. For instance, to get an ARGUS Platinum rating, even the FO has to be simulator trained within the past 12 months, have an ATP, 2500TT, 500 PIC, 150 actual instrument, and 500 MEL. One of the people I know hired on to an ARGUS Platinum rated company. This person did not have a type rating, ATP, or current school on the aircraft. That was all taken care of with an 18 day trip to Simuflite. Initial on this aircraft was somewhere around $21K. So I am sure this company would rather have found somebody that was either current or at least had prior school on the aircraft and just needed recurrent for about 60% the cost of initial. However, with the pilot market that is out there today, they decided to make an investment in a very good pilot. So the point being, just because they advertise they want such and such qualifications....doesn't mean that is what they are going to find out there.

As far as 98% of the jobs out there that are advertised having the requirements stated above, well I don't think that is correct. I would argue about even 75%. Then take away the Captain positions that you would not be looking for, then you are probably less than 50% of them. One job that comes up a lot is a position with Airnet. Of course you need 1200TT to fly PIC 135. You would need that with any company that you are looking to fly PIC 135 with...even in a C210. Now if you are looking to get out of instructing as soon as possible, then yes the regionals are the way to go. Hell, these days you get your commercial MEL and you don't even have to instruct as you are already qualified for at least 3 or 4 regionals. Certainly a few months instructing has you qualified for even more regional airlines. The question about all of this is whether or not you are missing an important building block in becoming a professional aviator. I know I learned more hour per hour while instructing than at any other point in my aviation career.

Now for some career advice while you are instructing, if you aren't making ends meat right now....then go somewhere else. Flight schools are hurting for instructors and some are offering ridiculous salaries. I have seen more than one on climbto350 that is offering $50K+ a year. In fact, there was a very interesting article in Flying Magazine within the past few months addressing this trend and some of the things flight schools are going to have to do in the future to lure instructors. It has gotten so bad, that just yesterday I was talking with an FAA POI and he said he ramp checked a flight school aircraft and the instructor's medical was also a student pilot certificate. Apparently he had only started flying about 8 months ago. That is one motivated individual, but it also shows how badly places are looking for instructors. So kudos to you guys that are still giving back and instructing. Without you, in a few years we won't even be able to find 250 hour pilots to fill the right seat.

Last edited:
I know several people who have gotten jobs off of climbto350 in the last year or so. Two of the individuals it was their first jet aircraft and one had no previous turbine and the other had very little (less than 50 hours). There are several reasons that these companies advertise for current and typed pilots with ATPs and a bunch of time. One of them is because of the WYVERN/ARGUS auditing houses that require crews to have a specific amount of time. For instance, to get an ARGUS Platinum rating, even the FO has to be simulator trained within the past 12 months, have an ATP, 2500TT, 500 PIC, 150 actual instrument, and 500 MEL. One of the people I know hired on to an ARGUS Platinum rated company. This person did not have a type rating, ATP, or current school on the aircraft. That was all taken care of with an 18 day trip to Simuflite. Initial on this aircraft was somewhere around $21K. So I am sure this company would rather have found somebody that was either current or at least had prior school on the aircraft and just needed recurrent for about 60% the cost of initial. However, with the pilot market that is out there today, they decided to make an investment in a very good pilot. So the point being, just because they advertise they want such and such qualifications....doesn't mean that is what they are going to find out there.

As far as 98% of the jobs out there that are advertised having the requirements stated above, well I don't think that is correct. I would argue about even 75%. Then take away the Captain positions that you would not be looking for, then you are probably less than 50% of them. One job that comes up a lot is a position with Airnet. Of course you need 1200TT to fly PIC 135. You would need that with any company that you are looking to fly PIC 135 with...even in a C210. Now if you are looking to get out of instructing as soon as possible, then yes the regionals are the way to go. Hell, these days you get your commercial MEL and you don't even have to instruct as you are already qualified for at least 3 or 4 regionals. Certainly a few months instructing has you qualified for even more regional airlines. The question about all of this is whether or not you air missing an important building block in becoming a professional aviator. I know I learned more hour per hour while instructing than at any other point in my aviation career.

Now for some career advice while you are instructing, if you aren't making ends meat right now....then go somewhere else. Flight schools are hurting for instructors and some are offering ridiculous salaries. I have seen more than one on climbto350 that is offering $50K+ a year. In fact, there was a very interesting article in Flying Magazine within the past few months addressing this trend and some of the things flight schools are going to have to do in the future to lure instructors. It has gotten so bad, that just yesterday I was talking with an FAA POI and he said he ramp checked a flight school aircraft and the instructor's medical was also a student pilot certificate. Apparently he had only started flying about 8 months ago. That is one motivated individual, but it also shows how badly places are looking for instructors. So kudos to you guys that are still giving back and instructing. With out you, in a few years we won't even be able to find 250 hour pilots to fill the right seat.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I'll start applying to some of the companies even if I don't meet the requirements yet. All they can say is nothing right? As far as instructing goes, it's not that I don't like it, it's just weeks like this one where I haven't flown in 4 days because of the weather and then when I'm supposed to fly, the planes break down/students don't show up, etc. I do like instructing, but with being married and going from cashing paychecks for 3000 to cashing ones for 500 is killing me. I know I'm no different than anyone else, but man I'll be glad once I can move vertically in this industry.

The pilot job market is so freaking good now I cant believe it. 10-15 yrs ago there were no jobs!!! These sites didnt exist either. You were lucky to be a CFI or hauling checks in piece of sierra C210 for Flight Express. People were paying for there own training at the regionals. Lots of pilots quit flying.

There are incredible opportunities for pilots now. I had to instruct for 4 yrs before making it to Air Ambulance Learjet. My pay 20K to start. 40K as PIC! I was lucky to have the job.

Pilots today have it easy. Stay in shape, keep your record clean and be pro active. And your in.

Climbto350.com just banked me 15K in contract work in Russia. That was in a month. I think the 15 bucks per month is worth it.

Also dont bother applying if you dont meet the mins!! It just shows you cant follow instructions! Plus employers will not use the web sights if they get spammed to death by amateurs.

Good luck and fly safe.

you're right . I remember using a typewriter, and hand typing several companies each sending cover letters and resumes via snail mail from the air jobs digest. there was no cuttin' and pastin' in my day.

Latest resources

Back