• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Climb Gradient Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That happens alot in ASE.. If you see 3 heads in the tower, one is an FAA guy watching to see where your going. Beechjet w/5 souls from ASE to CLT? Expect a visit when you land.

That happens alot in ASE.. If you see 3 heads in the tower, one is an FAA guy watching to see where your going. Beechjet w/5 souls from ASE to CLT? Expect a visit when you land.

Is this first hand knowledge or urban myth? Seriously?

Personally, I put that in the semi urban myth category. I've been flying in and out of Aspen for 19 years - the last 4 years or so on a very regular basis. I have never seen a Fed lurking around, but I've heard the stories. I don't deny that it has happened, but I've yet to meet anyone who has ever been ramp checked there. At any rate Rokit88 misread my post - if I was a fed and needed a little help reaching my monthly violation quota I wouldn't even bother checking guy just as they are getting ready to leave Aspen. I've get them as they were taxiing in. I'd be comparing their landing wait with the data from their approach climb charts.

Aspen is a interesting airport to operate out of. All landings are normally to the south and all takeoffs are to the north. On busy days it gets pretty "interesting" when they clear you for an immediate takeoff with one airplane well past Red Table inbound and another one on about a 4 mile final.:D You need to be paying attention and be able to follow directions.

Speaking of Aspen, I've got to run - we're off to Aspen this morning.

LS

but were does it actual say "in case of engine failure"

121.189 and 135.379 both state that the "net takeoff flight path" must clear all obstacles within the airport boundaries by 35 feet vertically or by atleast 200 feet horizontally and by alteast 300 feet horizontally after passing the airport boundaries.

To find the definition of "net takeoff flight path" you need to put 25.111, 25.113, and 25.115 together. 25.111 states the most critical engine is made inoperative at Vef (engine failure speed) and must remain inoperative for the rest of the takeoff (reaching 1500 above the takeoff surface).

The way I understand it, under normal conditions (all engines operating) you must be able to meet the gradients specified in the DP. If you bag an engine, you are no longer required to meet DP requirements but must be able to clear obstacles as stated in 121.189/135.379. The only way I am aware of obtaining information to clear obstacles by the said margins in case of an engine failure is by having a third party perform an airport analysis and develope single engine procedure for your airplane. If you don't have that resource, then the only way to ensure obstacle clearence is to weight restrict yourself to the extent that will allow compliance with the DP on one engine. This may or may not be possible depending on your equipment and the required climb gradients.

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back