Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

STLCFII

How do Clep Exams Work?

I know there are study guides out there for each test, and where you take them at, but I have couple questions.

Do most people just get the study guide, memorize it, and take the test?

How do they get put on your transcripts? Do they go on as credit granted or do they actually give you a grade on how well you did on the exam, ABCD?

I'm thinking about taking the Computer CLEP exam, has anyone taken that exam?

The only CLEP I took was to test out of a 4 credit Spanish class I had to take in college. There wasn't really any prep for it but I borrowed a Spanish textbook and studied up on it(had 3 years in HS). Test was hard as shi* and I wound up not getting any credits. It was weird because you only needed like a 40% to get credits. I got like a 30% or something. I had a second chance so I just went in and didn't even read the questions and was out of there in 10 minutes. Passed it and got 4 credits...go figure...:confused:

Official answers can be found here:
http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

The link should give you links to the schools that administer the tests. Call the school/testing facility up and find out their testing schedules. The schools I tested at only offered the tests a few days per month. Check first with the school you want to attend whether or not you will receive credit and what score you will need.

Show up, take the test (usually multiple test). You indicate on the form which school you want your test results sent. Make sure you indicate the school's CLEP address code correctly as last time I checked it cost $15 for a transcript if you need one later on. In 4 - 6 weeks (it varies) you and your school will receive a score report. It is up to the school you are attending to determine whether or not you received a high enough score to receive equivalent credit for their courses. The American Council on Education (ACE) recommends a minimum score. It is usually printed on the test results next to the score you earned.

As far as recording it on your transcripts ... that's up to the school. Since the tests are scored and not graded (i.e. A,B,C,D,F) you usully don't see it on a transcript. What you will see (and this is what ERAU and my community college did) is the word CLEP and then the block of credit hours you were awarded at the top of the transcript. On my CC transcript it also shows the class it is equivalent to and then the word CLEP next to the 3 semester hours of credit. The CLEP I didn't pass (business law) doesn't show up at all.

Sometimes I would pick up one of those laminated quick study guides from Barnes & Noble or a college book store to study up. My macroeconomics teacher was so good that I was able to CLEP microeconomics just from the info. I picked up from his macro class. The CLEP study guide put out by the college board is full of practice tests that will give you a good idea of which tests you would probably pass.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

The tests are now done on computers and you get your test score right away. Some tests I didn't study for, some I used a study guide, and some I used a textbook. Your school will tell you what is the minimum score to obtain credit. A couple schools, such as mine will give your a letter grade based on your score. Checkout the board on this website, they can better answer your questions.

http://www.degreeinfo.com

That's great news. Waiting 6 weeks for tests results was terrible, especially when you were trying to graduate.

challenge college credit

Clep is a great way to earn college credit but there are other options as well!

Dantes exams visit www.getcollegecredit.com

GRE Exams graduate record exams in subjects such as history or sociology

Credit for FAA ratings.

Here are 2 schools that accept challenge credit and have no residency required, they are also regionally accredited.

Thomas Edison State College www.tesc.edu

Excelsior college www.excelsior.edu this school also has a database to search schools that offer courses you may lack for the degree through distant learning. The school will accept college credits from other regionally accredited schools and has no time limit on when the class was taken. it was originally named Regents College and designed for military persons who were always being transferred from post to post and always started over in their college education because one institution would not accept the courses from the other.

1/2 my bachelors of science degree was earned through challenge exams. Great way to get an accredited college degree.
Best of Luck! I say luck because the exams are multiple guess.

Go for it, worst case, all you'll lose is $40 and a morning. The English Composition exam was one of the easiest tests I've ever taken and saved me a semesters worth of term paper hell.

I went to Regent's (Excelsior) and can attest that it's a great program. I took some GRE tests, and one clep in Biology. I had no previous Biology instruction, and I read a couple of study guides and got an A on the test. It was the old days when you took them on paper, so now I hear it's better. Just take it, even if you feel you're not ready, as you have nothing to lose.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Latest resources

Back