clearence limit?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lrjtcaptain

Okay, me and the sup are arguing over what the clearance limit of a route is. We both agree, initial clrnc limit is airport filed to. Let say you go SFO LIN LIDAT BTY FUZZY6 ARR TO LAS. LAS IS THE CLRNCE LIMIT. Your talking to LAS approach and get a vector to the ILS 25L approach. Is the clrnce limit the end of the approach or is it still the airport?

As I understand it, the clearance limit is designed to put procedures into place in the event of a comm failure. This being the premise, I would imagine that the airport is technically the clearance limit as your write it down and fly it. In the event things go smoothly (no lost comm.) you follow the clearance to the airport and when within the terminal area, you receive a sort of revised clearance, namely the approach clearance which allows you to execute a particular instrument approach to a specified runway.

So IMO, the clearance limit is the airport, up until its revised and you receive an approach clearance.

This CL is really a procedural thing in place for how to proceed during lost comms. Consider the clearacne limit revised or canceled upon being given that approach clearance.

I think it is still the airport. About the only time I can think of the clearance limit as not being the destination airport is when you´re cleared to a fix and told to hold at it.

So if the controller at your origin airport says N12345 you´re cleared to LAX via the blah blah blah departure etc etc etc, your clearance limit is LAX. That will only change if somewhere down the line someone clears you TO a point (suchs as N12345 cleared TO the Razorback VOR). If when you get there you haven´t received a clearance TO another point, you´ve got to hold.

Any other clearance (such as an ILS clearance, direct-to clearance etc), in my understanding, does not mean that your clearance limit has changed.

..but if you're given an approach clearance to a runway at the destination airport, the clearance limit thing is a moot point. You've made it to the airport or at least the terminal area where youre vectored for the final. The limit is designed to assist you in a preplanned manner so that you will know what routes alttitudes, etc. to follow in the event you lose comms. It gives you an ending point, temporary (enroute fix) or permanent(airport).

Last edited:
c-l-e-a-r-a-n-c-e

clearance

can i have it in a sentence please?
part of speech?

roger roger we've got clearance clarence whats our vector victor?!?

Amish RakeFight said:
..but if you're given an approach clearance to a runway at the destination airport, the clearance limit thing is a moot point. You've made it to the airport or at least the terminal area where youre vectored for the final. The limit is designed to assist you in a preplanned manner so that you will know what routes alttitudes, etc. to follow in the event you lose comms. It gives you an ending point, temporary (enroute fix) or permanent(airport).

agreed

Ok I'm not familiar with that STAR but my guess is that if I recieve a vector for the approach and lose my radio, I will keep on trucking in, descending on the stepdowns and shooting the approach (7600). :nuts:

sigler said:
I think it is still the airport. About the only time I can think of the clearance limit as not being the destination airport is when you´re cleared to a fix and told to hold at it.

Exactly correct. Which is why holding clearances start with the phrase, "Cleared to <fix>....", and clearances out of holding start with "Cleared to <airport>..."

Your clearence limit is the last fix, waypoint, or airport you have been cleared to by ATC. You could be cleared to a VOR. Arriving at that VOR you would be expected to hold on the inbound course, right turns with the appropriate IAS & timing for your altitude unless other wise published until ATC gives you further clearance. It behooves you to get an expected further clearance time, just as you would if ATC had issued you instructions to hold at that VOR. All this allows you to proceed to the destination in the event of lost comm, hold there until your ETA, then shoot the approach, as you would if you lost comm enroute while in IMC.

Originally Posted by sigler

You don't have to be told to hold, in many circumstances (non radar, like in the Caribbean man), without an amended clearance you best not proceed any farther than the fix you are cleared to initially. (oops, like erichartmann said):0

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back